Thread: NT Peshitta Database Available

Default NT Peshitta Database Available

The Magiera Peshita Database mentioned in our brochure is now available for purchase and download. This work was done by Janet Magiera of the Light of the Word Ministry.

The APNT module contains the following elements:

1. The PEM version. This is a morphological database for the Peshitta Aramaic version PES that ships with the BibleWorks 7 package. PES will be installed with the PEM module just in case you did not install it when you installed BibleWorks.

2. Notes and Lexical information for each word in the Peshitta. To access the notes and Lexical information place you mouse cursor over a word in the PES or PEM text in the Browse Window. The information will be displayed in the Analysis Window as usual.

3. Glosses for the Peshitta text. To see them just place the mouse cursor over a word and they will appear in a popup window.

You will need to make sure that you also download the latest executable and help file from the BibleWorks web site. The Morphological Code section in the manual now contains a section describing the PEM codes, which are slightly different from the WTM codes.

You will also want to download the new Peshitta bundle (for free) which contains the Etheridge, Lewis, Murdock and Norton English Translations of the Peshitta. It also contains the MGI English Translation of the Peshita. This is a brand new English Translation of the Peshita done by Janet Magiera. It is the companion text for the PEM morphological database. To get these check for updates as you usually do from within BibleWorks.

The MGI Translation is also available in print at http://www.lightofword.org/order/apntt.htm. The following is from the back cover of this new print edition:

Why a New Translation of the Peshitta?

This book is of tremendous value to the serious student of Holy Scripture. It will enable the reader to examine the Holy Scriptures in the language of Jesus and the apostles. Only through the lens of the Aramaic language can one truly understand nuances and meanings lost in other translations of the New Testament. This translation enables the reader to truly see the texts in their original meaning and context and to hear the true power of the Words of God.

The Peshitta sheds light on meanings otherwise lost. Although virtually unknown by most Christians and students of the Holy Scripture in the Western world, this version of the Holy Scripture has remained intact for at least 1600 years! It is respected by Christians, Jews, and Muslims throughout the world. It is a bridge of understanding between these three great religions. It can break down barriers that need not exist and shed light on the source texts that bring peace, understanding, enlightenment, and salvation. And now you can study the meanings and sounds of the Aramaic language of the Peshitta. This book makes it easy for the average reader to study what has been only available to scholars and Near Eastern churches in the past. What a truly powerful way to glean the life of each word of Jesus and the apostles.

Jan Magiera has made a major contribution to those of us interested in knowing the message of the Holy Scripture.

James J. DeFrancisco, PhD.
    Miltha Ministries, Mishawaka, Indiana

Default NT Peshitta Database Available

I went to the Store page to order this and it says it's not available yet?

We had it ready pretty late in the day Friday, so I imagine Rick just didn't have time to update the Web store. Check aagain Monday and it should be ready. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell
    The Magiera Peshita Database mentioned in our brochure is now available for purchase and download. This work was done by Janet Magiera of the Light of the Word Ministry.

The APNT module contains the following elements:

1. The PEM version. This is a morphological database for the Peshitta Aramaic version PES that ships with the BibleWorks 7 package. PES will be installed with the PEM module just in case you did not install it when you installed BibleWorks.

2. Notes and Lexical information for each word in the Peshitta. To access the notes and Lexical information place you mouse cursor over a word in the PES or PEM text in the Browse Window. The information will be displayed in the Analysis Window as usual.

3. Glosses for the Peshitta text. To see them just place the mouse cursor over a word and they will appear in a popup window.

You will need to make sure that you also download the latest executable and help file from the BibleWorks web site. The Morphological Code section in the manual now contains a section describing the PEM codes, which are slightly different from the WTM codes.

You will also want to download the new Peshitta bundle (for free) which contains the Etheridge, Lewis, Murdock and Norton English Translations of the Peshitta. It also contains the MGI English Translation of the Peshita. This is a brand new English Translation of the Peshita done by Janet Magiera. It is the companion text for the PEM morphological database. To get these check for updates as you usually do from within BibleWorks.

The MGI Translation is also available in print at http://www.lightofword.org/order/apntt.htm. The following is from the back cover of this new print edition:

Why a New Translation of the Peshitta?

This book is of tremendous value to the serious student of Holy Scripture. It will enable the reader to examine the Holy Scriptures in the language of Jesus and the apostles. Only through the lens of the Aramaic language can one truly understand nuances and meanings lost in other translations of the New Testament. This translation enables the reader to truly see the texts in their original meaning and context and to hear the true power of the Words of God.

The Peshitta sheds light on meanings otherwise lost. Although virtually unknown by most Christians and students of the Holy Scripture in the Western world, this version of the Holy Scripture has remained intact for at least 1600 years! It is respected by Christians, Jews, and Muslims throughout the world. It is a bridge of understanding between these three great religions. It can break down barriers that need not exist and shed light on the source texts that bring peace, understanding, enlightenment, and salvation. And now you can study the meanings and sounds of the Aramaic language of the Peshitta. This book makes it easy for the average reader to study what has been only available to scholars and Near Eastern churches in the past. What a truly powerful way to glean the life of each word of Jesus and the apostles.

Jan Magiera has made a major contribution to those of us interested in knowing the message of the Holy Scripture.

James J. DeFrancisco, PhD.
    Miltha Ministries, Mishawaka, Indiana
    Will I need to have the Mod 2 M02 CD (not available until September) before this module will run in my Bibleworks 7?

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Zechariah14
    Will I need to have the Mod 2 M02 CD (not available until September) before this module will run in my Bibleworks 7?

Wayne
    Nope it is available to purchase and download via the BibleWorks website.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I successfully downloaded updates and installed and unlocked the APNT. The feature described above seems to be working for the gospels through Acts chapter 8, but it is not working (for me anyway) for the rest of the NT after that.

Any thoughts?

Wayne
    /////////////////

Never mind......I see that I hadn't applied the APNT Morphology update 7.014w!!

Now it works fine in PES and PEM throughout the New Testament......although the morphology no longer supports the PEH, I am happy with the PMH!
    Last edited by Zechariah14; 07-04-2006 at 06:21 PM.

There should be a morphology version for PEH. See the updated version notes with PES.
    Mike

There should be a morphology version for PEH. See the updated version notes with PES.
    Mike
    The morphology version for the PEH is the PMH, but thought it would be nice if the PEH had the same lexicon support as the PES.

I haven't made a listing, but I have noticed with several words in the PMH that there are errors that show the letter shin where tav or lamed should be. Example below:

Wayne