Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish List for 7+

Hybrid View

Post Wish List for 7+

I've held off on wishlist items for awhile now, but I suspect that the flury of activity surrounding the v7 release is starting to normalize so perhaps it's not too early to post a few additional feature requests?

I'm going to gamble on it being OK Now
    1. Editor / Notes
      1. Spell checker in the editor.
      2. Autolinking of Bible verses in the Editor (Type a reference and it's automatically linked with a popup (eg. type John 3:16 and it autolinks))
      3. I'd like to add a few autoformat buttons to the editor toolbar, things like "heading 1", "Heading 2", "Blockquote" etc...
    2. Addons
      1. I'd love a smart tags plugin for MS Word (or better openoffice.org!) which would enable me to type a reference in that program and have it provide options for
        1. turning to that passage in Bibleworks
        2. Replacing the reference in WORD with the text of the passage
        3. inserting user notes for said passage into WORD.
    3. Maps
      1. Autofind box in the toolbar (Start typing "Bethany" and a drop down list starts locating all the map links to Bethany" before we even finish typing "Bet")
      2. The map rendering is pretty resource intensive, it would be nice to have a "Low/High resolution" button on the toolbar that would quickly jump between detailed and not so detailed rendering.
      3. It would be nice if there were a "show only Checked Items" in the overlay dialog. There is after all ALOT of stuff to wade through there.

I have no doubt that many of you have more to add. So what do you say folks, what would you like to see?

Default Editor additions

Quote Originally Posted by tcblack
    I've held off on wishlist items for awhile now, but I suspect that the flury of activity surrounding the v7 release is starting to normalize so perhaps it's not too early to post a few additional feature requests?

I'm going to gamble on it being OK Now
    1. Editor / Notes
      1. Spell checker in the editor.
      2. Autolinking of Bible verses in the Editor (Type a reference and it's automatically linked with a popup (eg. type John 3:16 and it autolinks))
      3. I'd like to add a few autoformat buttons to the editor toolbar, things like "heading 1", "Heading 2", "Blockquote" etc...
    I have no doubt that many of you have more to add. So what do you say folks, what would you like to see?
    Well they're getting closer to tweaking, but I think they're still finishing up parts of BW7 that they have pledged to get out the door (The Robertson grammar for one, and of course some of those modules, which I'm very much looking forward to ). But it's nice to have an organized list of things for them to do when they're ready to start more tweaking

I agree on adding more support to make hotlinks easier. This is a feature I would use a lot.

Also relatively minor ones: short-cut keys to select Unicode Greek, or Unicode Hebrew fonts. Right now for instance Control-G only selects the BwGrkL font. (Although I've cheated lately and made my default Greek font Palatino Linotype....is this cheating?)

Hmm. I'm sure there are other things, but right now I'm drawing a blank.

Personally I'm not a big fan of spell-check, not because I don't spell words wrong, but because I'm not a power user when it comes to spell-check and mixing languages and such in documents, I find more frustration than help, but that's just me
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 06-09-2006 at 05:12 PM.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    The Robertson grammar for one
    Let me be the first to say, "Huh?"

Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips
    Let me be the first to say, "Huh?"

See this thread.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I would like to see a right mouse menu that automatically enters a Greek/Hebrew word or lemma into KWIC.

Links to Josephus and Philos from lexicons.

John Fidel

I've been asking for a "You-know-what-I-mean" button for command line searches since version 3, but they keep ignoring me.

Default OhPleaseOhPlease....

I'd love a linux port using winelib (it's the same executable, but is mapped to the wine project). If they had that, I'd jump for joy. Google's done it with picassa and are working on google earth, it's a doable option...

Default Save as HTML

Let's add "Save as HTML" to the editor. I'm using lots of external links (Http://) and would love to export those directly rather than having to manually recreate them.

I posted mine a while back. The only thing I'd add would be a keyboard shortcut for "add current verse as link" in the notes and editor.
    Ben

Post Poetry formatting and paragraph breaks

This has been said before, but what I'd like to see most is poetry formatting and paragraph breaks in English versions. As has been said before, the formatting is part of the translation - without it some of the meaning is lost.

I have seen these in other programs so I assume they're available in the source versions. (I know they are in the NET Bible since I processed one myself when we had to add NET to BW.)

--Steve
    Steve Whitney, pastor
    Trinity Presbyterian Church

1500 Park Blvd.
    West Sacramento, CA 95691

church: www.TrinityWestSac.org
    blog: www.UndercoverPastor.com