Thread: How to create a database?

Default How to create a database?

I would like to know how to create a user database that can be compiled in BibleWork?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    I would like to know how to create a user database that can be compiled in BibleWork?
    First, you should read the help section on that topic. You might have to go through it several times, but it is pretty informative.

In the meantime, however, here are a few general steps --

1) You must create a .txt file with a specific format. Here's an example --

Gen 1:1 In the beginning...
    Gen 1:2 And the earth...

and so forth, with the verses of course being complete.

This file should be created in a program like notepad, or any program that gives you pure text with no formatting.

I like Notetab Pro, which is a very powerful shareware program.

2) You must create a .ddf file (data definition file). This is where the help file will come in handy, as you must specify the appropriate parameters in the appropriate fields.

In short, however, to create a .ddf file you open the VDC (version database compiler), then choose "new" from the top left section. You then name your file, and your .ddf file should be named the same as your .txt file. For example --

ndf.ddf
    ndf.txt

In addition to the help file, you should download a few files from the BW user site (I don't have the link at hand) and once having done that, open a .ddf file in the VDC and note how the fields are filled in there. This will give you a working example of how to specify the fields in your own .ddf file.

Finally, while the VDC might be intimidating on first sight, it is really quite simple once you get the hang of it. IOW, after you create one or two files, you'll find the process to be a breeze, at least with regard to the basics.