Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accordance verses bible works

Default Accordance verses bible works

Dear Mac Users,

I have a 2003 Emac and I run library 6 (Accordance)
    Should I keep Accordance or try to use bibleworks 6 on my mac?

Accordance is a fabulous program and it runs natively on your mac. I have used it for years and love it. I would consider keeping it. (They just released an upgrade to version 7, by the way.)

I don't think you'll get many responses. Most of us who post here seem to be PC users, and thus have probably not used Accordance at all. Good luck comparison shopping.
    Ben

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Spackman
    I don't think you'll get many responses. Most of us who post here seem to be PC users, and thus have probably not used Accordance at all. Good luck comparison shopping.
    Not only that, but most of us can't really afford to invest in multiple sets of programs that do so many similar things. Granted I'm a die-hard BW user, but part of the reason I'm not going to invest in Accordance or Logos is because I've already made my major investments in BibleWorks, I'm not going to go out and spend $600 for resources I already have. So if you have a lot of money invested in Accordance, you're probably best to stick with it. If you haven't invested a lot, but are looking to do major investing in the future, well then give BW works a try, there's a 30-day trial period, you can give it a run and if it doesn't suit you, go with something else.

But for the beginner or for someone who is just starting out, I don't think you're going to find a better investment for your money than BW. Recently new versions of Logos and Accordance have come out and these programs do have some features or databases that BW doesn't have, but BibleWorks also has features included in the program cost itself that these other programs charge a great price for. Ultimately, you as the consumer have to decide what you want to invest in. But remember no matter which program, newer and better databases and features are always around the corner. Database additions to BW7 are still in the works I've heard such as adding Robertson's Greek Grammar, so there are always exciting new things happening on this end of the Bible software world.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Accordance, BW, Logos?

I get asked this question a lot, so I have put together a page that points to reviews and such by others. A couple of the links specifically deal with Accordance, BW, and Logos.
    http://www.gettysburgsem.org/mhoffma.../bw7&logos.htm
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Hey, Andrew. You've asked a very complex question, one which does not have a simple yes/no answer. Fortunately, whichever way you choose to go, you are choosing from two excellent software packages!

I thought I'd take a few minutes to answer your question because I own both BibleWorks and Accordance. I recently became a Mac user at home, and was liberated to do so because I can run BW7 on Parallels Desktop. (If you'd like, you can follow a couple of us in our experiment at http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529)

Hopefully other folks who use both packages will offer their opinions to you as well.

To me, there are several things to think about.

(1) First and foremost, what will you use the software for?

I don't think any of the BibleWorks folks would object to me saying that BW "majors" in original language exegesis. My opinion is that BW is still the leader of the pack for such study; BW is, in fact, "the premier original languages Bible software program." (I could site all my reasons here, but you can find plenty of thorough reviews on the internet with either Google or with BibleWorks users' websites.)

I also don't think the BibleWorks folks would mind me mentioning that other packages (e.g. Accordance) currently offer more English-language resources. So, if doing resource-driven English-language Bible study is your goal, then Accordance (or perhaps Logos) may make more sense for you, as their libraries of resources are currently larger. (In fact, you may already own all the resources you need for English-language Bible study in Accordance Library 6 ... it's a robust package.)

(2) Cost, if it is an issue.

You already own Accordance, and that is significant. If you don't feel like you need more resources to study with, then that makes your decision easy. If, on the other hand, you find yourself needing more resources (particularly original languages resources), then you have a decision to make. In that case, your investment in Accordance is a sunk cost; you can't make your forward-looking decisions on the basis of your past investment. The question then becomes, "what will it cost me to build the software package I need if I add on to Accordance VERSUS what will it cost if I start from scratch with BibleWorks?"

Only you can answer those questions, and once you do I'm sure you'll see the implications and make the "right" decision.

There is no doubt that the folks at OakTree have done a very nice job. Accordance is an excellent all-around software package for Biblical studies; I'm sure you've enjoyed much fruitful study with it. But also know that the BibleWorks folks have done an unbelievable job of creating an intuitive, highly customizable, language resource-intensive tool for original language exegesis. And all of the BW goodness comes at an outrageously low price. (I'd encourage you to check me on that by pricing other software packages to include all the modern-language Bibles, original language texts and original language resources you get with BW ... you'll see my point ... and you'll realize it's an issue of multiples.)

How great is it to live in the 21st century where God has given us such powerful tools to understand His word? Both of these tools are remarkable providences - thanks to both BibleWorks and OakTree for their faithful labor, and to God for his abundant grace.

All the best with your decision....

Default Dear jkagenb

Forgoting what you already own, which is better?
    Do you feel to spent your money well buying BW already having accordance?
    Do you use both, it is a waste owning both?

I want BW because they have a few versions not on accordance? Is understanding Greek better on BW?

I only have library 6(and the cd of most English translations). so bw may be cheaper than upgrading anyway.

Your answers to these questions will help me.
    This is what I want to do, compare Tyndale Young KJV Bishop etc to the textus receptus.

And thankyou BW for letting me join this forum.

See also this comparison, which seems to favor Accordance: http://anduril.ca/PDFs/SC-GreekTexts.pdf

I'm a happy BW user nonetheless!

Ingo

Default some corrections to that review...

Nice review that focuses mainly on Accordance, but there are some inaccuracies regarding BW.

In that review it says:
    By contrast, morphological databases in BibleWorks 7 are separate texts, unsuitable for reading, that display lexical forms with single character codes appended to each form. This approach is inefficient insofar as it separates the textual and morphological databases, requiring users to have two databases open in order to search with the latter and read with the former.
    In fact, I never have a morphological version open. There is an option flag to keep those versions hidden. The textual database is completely integrated, and it only takes a right click on a word to do either a form or lemma search without needing to call up the morphological database at all. One can do a command line search on the morphological database without actually activating that database as well.

In that review it says:
    Unfortunately, failed searches are immediately deleted from the command line, preventing users from making minor corrections and running a modified search again quickly and easily without unnecessary hassle.
    Actually, all searches are recalled. Just click in the command line and use the "up arrow" to scroll back through all the recent commands. (This is different than using the "Successful Search History" button just to the right of the command line.)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by ingosorke
    See also this comparison, which seems to favor Accordance: http://anduril.ca/PDFs/SC-GreekTexts.pdf
    Like Mark, I also noticed a number of inaccuracies in that review. Furthermore, it is patently clear that the reviewer is highly biased toward Accordance, not to mention the highly subjective nature of his assertions.

For example, he rates the interface of Accordance as superior to BW, when in fact, I would rate the interface of Accordance as palpably mediocre, while I would rate the interface of BW as outstanding.

Et cetera.

He also gives a full-blown review of Accordance from his web page and not a single line to BW, other than his opinion sheet, and I emphasize the word "opinion."

In short, anyone who desires an objective view between BibleWorks and Accordance would do themselves a favor by steering well clear from this reviewer, as he has little or nothing objective (or accurate in many cases) to offer, in addition to displaying an ignorance of even some of the basic fucntions in BW, as Mark demonstrated above.

Conversely, Ruben has (I believe) reviewed both products, and as he exhibits an intimate familiarity with BW, I will assume (always dangerous) that he also knows Accordance equally well, so if I wanted a fairly objective view, I would consult Ruben's site (perhaps someone can provide the link?) in order to get a better idea of the capabilities of both programs.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 05-31-2006 at 10:21 AM.