Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: BW7 on an Intel Mac via Parallels

you may want to try vmware fusion instead of parallels, I think you will be pleased

Default Parallels 4.0 upgrade

I just upgraded to Parallels 4.0 from Parallels 3.0.x.
    So far BW7 lauches slower and has some sporadic boot problems.
    The jury is still out on 4.0. I will continue to test to see how BW7 works on 4.0.

Default Try VirtualBox

I decided not to spend another $40 to upgrade to version 4 of Parallels (eventhough that is a half price as of now). After hearing your experience, I am glad that I did not upgrade.

I am trying VirtualBox. It is free online from Sun. So far BibleWorks runs fine in Windows under VirtualBox on my Macbook (2.0 GHz, 2G memory). The Mac runs cooler compared to running under Parallels version 3.

John
    Last edited by jhkchan; 11-17-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Exclamation Problems w/ BW7 in Windows 7 on Mac (Bootcamp 3.0/OS10.6)

This will probably cause more confusion, but here is a warning to the adventurous out there. I've partitioned by mac's hard drive using bootcamp 3.0 and OS 10.6 and installed BW7 and it "works," BUT no sound, no function keys work, and only way to get right click is to use SHIFT-F10?!. Apparently some driver update is required if using 0S 10.6 but it doesn't exist and there are no plans to make it. Ironically, this driver fix does exist for older version of mac OS(10.5). So, after hours of installing, I'm not inclined to redo everything just to get sound, which is rarely used with BW7 anyway, but it sounds like vmfusion emulation is a better way to go.

Default BW7 on a Mac via Parallels - please help!

I've loaded parallels on my macbook pro, but when I load BW7, I can only open it once or twice. After that, it just sits there and then shuts down Parallels. I've uninstalled and then reinstalled BW7 and still the same problem. Can someone please help?!?!

Default BW7 on Parallels

I do not know how much help I will be, but lets start with the basics:

What version of Parallels?
    What version of Windows?
    Have you added all known updates to BW7?

(I run BW8 under Parallels 5 with WinXP, and have never had any problems. And I ran BW7 under Parallels 3 & 4 with WinXPf and no problems...)

Does it give any error message before it shuts down Parallels? Does BW shut down first?

In Christ,

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by brethicks View Post
    I do not know how much help I will be, but lets start with the basics:

What version of Parallels?
    What version of Windows?
    Have you added all known updates to BW7?

(I run BW8 under Parallels 5 with WinXP, and have never had any problems. And I ran BW7 under Parallels 3 & 4 with WinXPf and no problems...)

Does it give any error message before it shuts down Parallels? Does BW shut down first?

In Christ,

Bret
    I have Parallels 5, Windows Vista, and how do you get the BWs updates?
    There is no error message, per se. All the sudden Vista stops and restarts and then the black screen that says, "Windows was not shut down properly... which mode do you want to start in?" comes up.
    I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    Jolynn

Default Initial set-up on a Macintosh

Will someone coach us through initial setup of BibleWorks 8 on a Mac?
    We have an iBook with OS 10.5.8
    Processor is a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory is 2 GB 667 MHz
    We got Parallels 5.0
    On the DVD for BW 8 all I find are small icons for what I think are data files.
    Where do we start?

You need to do the following steps:

Install Parallels 5.0
    Install Windows (I recommend XP - but definitely not Vista)
    Make sure the DVD is accessible from within Parallels - I believe this is the default
    Insert the BibleWorks install DVD
    From the start menu in Windows, select Run -> and choose the file from the DVD (I do not have it here but it is probably install.exe or some batch file....)
    Keep feeding DVD's when asked....

That is it. It is really just like installing on a windows machine once you have Parallels and windows installed on the Mac.

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Syed View Post
    Problem solved! I was very new to mac - perhaps this may be of interest to others who start using mac without reading the manual first! Apparently the mouse comes with both its left and right buttons programmed as left buttons, and you have to set the right button as really a right one. System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Mouse > then in the drop down menu against the right button replace 'Primary Button' with 'Secondary Button'. Everything now works fine in BW - including Search on Lemma, and Send Verse to Lexicon Browser, and the rest. Seems obvious now, but it didn't at the time.
    This is an old quote, but very helpful to me. Thanks!