Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BW7 on an Intel Mac via Parallels

Default BW7 on an Intel Mac via Parallels

Greetings. Anyone other than me interested in running BW7 on an Intel Mac via Parallels workstation? I've got it installed, updated, and running effectively with all unlocked modules ... I have yet to find a major problem. The only issue I've found so far is that the integration of the clipboards doesn't seem to be happening for BW7.

Anyone else trying BW7 on their Intel Mac? Curious about other issues folk have found....

Default Clipboard, updated

The clipboard problem is not localized to BW7 ... it appears to be a broader issue within Parallels.

Default Interested in your findings

Hmmm, judging from the lack of replies, I take it that you're the only brave soul who's trying BW using Parallels!

In any case, as a fellow Mac user, I'm definitely interested in what you find, since, given the uncertain future (and drawbacks) of Virtual PC, it's encouraging to think that BW has a future on Macs after all. And a future that doesn't require a full emulator, to boot. I'm probably a few years away from an Intel Mac, but it's always good to look ahead.

Anything further to report from your usage?

My wife probably has to get a Mac laptop for school, and it will be an Intel Dual-Core if I have anythign to say about it. I'm interested in the conversation, but I don't have any hardware to play with at the moment.
    Ben

Yes, I am feeling a bit lonely! But the good news it that BW7 runs flawlessly on Parallels using WinXP Pro as the guest OS. Within the guest OS, I have encountered absolutely no issues - BW7 operates exactly like it does on a native WinXP machine. Program installation, module installation, customization, searching, updating, copying/pasting, etc. all work exactly as they do on my Dell; speeds are close, too.

In fact, the only issue I've found is a cross-OS issue (see earlier post regarding clipboard). And it's worth repeating that this is a Parallels issue, not BW issue. Hopefully one day the clipboard will be more seemless - and the link between the two OSs will be improved so that BW Copy Center is able to recognize applications on the OS X side. (Given the quality and development speed of the Parallels beta, I suspect this will be sooner rather than later.)

So if you're like me and resisted a Mac because you refused to give up BW, now you can have your cake and eat it too, if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of expense.

Default New Mac Book

Hello,

I just got my new Mac yesterday and am having a blast installing and learning about the differences in Windos and Macs. I am going to be setting up Parallels and BW today so I am wondering how much memory you have in your system?

Grace and Peace
    Mike Lane

Hey, Mike. I've got 1GB in total memory, only 256MB of which is dedicated to the guest OS (WinXP Pro SP2 in my case). (The system itself is a 15" 2.0ghz MacBook Pro.) I'll be curious to hear how it goes for you - should be flawless! All the best....

Default The New Mac

Hello,

Yes I have it set up with Parallels but have not instaled BW yet. My Mac has only 512 of memory. That will change in the morning as soon as Fedex arrives with my new memory then I'll install BW and then...

Grace and Peace
    Mike Lane

Default Parallels and BW - Painful

Hello,

Parallels and Windows installs just fine. BW installs just fine. The problems arise with trying to run BW. I can open it and do what ever. However the ini file is not being saved and after I close BW then try to reopen it crashes.

I thought maybe updating to the newest exe would help but then it crashed so hard on trying to reopen after the patch that it won't even open at all now. So at this point I guess I will have to uninstall and then reinstall and see if I can figure it out. If you can be of help let me know thanks!!

Hey, Mike. Sorry to hear you're having problems with BW. I did not have the problem you're describing, so unfortunately I don't have any sage wisdom to offer, other than to agree that uninstalling and reinstalling BW7 is the right path to go down. Given the rest of your installation went well, that may well solve the problem....