Thread: Can I obtain the text file of WTM?

Default Can I obtain the text file of WTM?

Hi. I am Moon-ryul Jung from Korea.

I studied computational linguistics at the Univ of Pennsylvania.
    I bought Bibleworks to study the Scriptures in more depth. I found out the morphological search engine provided by the Bibleworks is not sufficiently powerful for my purpose. I am interested in writing
    a computer program that can search for complex patterns of phrases and clauses from the text.

I tried to use the WTM morphology file provided by Bibleworks. But
    I do not know the inner structure of the file, because it is in
    a private file format. I need a plain text file or a file whose
    format is known.

So, I wonder if I can obtain such a file from the Bibleworks company.
    I read it is public, but I could not locate the place I can
    download the files. Or should I buy them? If so, please let me know
    how I can buy them. I will the files only for an academic purpose.
    I am planning to write a paper on the interaction between
    the WAYYIQTOL form and the X + QATAL form in Biblical Hebrew.

Moon-Ryul Jung
    Professor
    Sogang Universtiy, Seoul, Korea

Thumbs up

Hi Moon-Ryul.
    I would be surprised if BibleWorks is not able to do what you want it to do. I would think that the friendly staff or experienced users would be able to help you to accomplish your task.

David McKay
    Bathurst
    New South Wales
    Australia

If I remember correctly from Moon-Ryul's other posts, the problem was that he wanted to do searches on a clause-level, but WTM does not have that capability since it has no tagging according to clauses, so having the WTM really wouldn't help. I could of course be wrong in understanding his question.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

your topic sounds interesting. I myself have tried to distinguish the yaqtul and yaqtulu (which is the step prior to yours) forms and because BW's does not search vowels, I wasn't even able to start the first step. If you can figure out a way to perform the prerequisite search to what you are trying to do, I would certainly be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by moonryul
    Hi. I am Moon-ryul Jung from Korea.

I studied computational linguistics at the Univ of Pennsylvania.
    I bought Bibleworks to study the Scriptures in more depth. I found out the morphological search engine provided by the Bibleworks is not sufficiently powerful for my purpose. I am interested in writing
    a computer program that can search for complex patterns of phrases and clauses from the text.

I tried to use the WTM morphology file provided by Bibleworks. But
    I do not know the inner structure of the file, because it is in
    a private file format. I need a plain text file or a file whose
    format is known.

So, I wonder if I can obtain such a file from the Bibleworks company.
    I read it is public, but I could not locate the place I can
    download the files. Or should I buy them? If so, please let me know
    how I can buy them. I will the files only for an academic purpose.
    I am planning to write a paper on the interaction between
    the WAYYIQTOL form and the X + QATAL form in Biblical Hebrew.

Moon-Ryul Jung
    Professor
    Sogang Universtiy, Seoul, Korea

Default Searching at Phrase and Clause Levels

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    If I remember correctly from Moon-Ryul's other posts, the problem was that he wanted to do searches on a clause-level, but WTM does not have that capability since it has no tagging according to clauses, so having the WTM really wouldn't help. I could of course be wrong in understanding his question.
    Hi, Michael: Thanks for the response. I think I can write a search program
    for phrases and clauses if I have a WTM text with word-level tagging.
    Tagging WTM at Phrase and clause levels would be a lot of work!
    But that is not needed. We can write down rules about how phrases
    are composed of words and other phrases. The syntactic grammar of a language has to do with such rules. The search engine that might
    satisfy me is EMDROS (www.emdros.org). I am studying that engine now.

Sincerely

Moon-Ryul Jung
    Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea

Moon Jung

Default Vowel Search in BW

Quote Originally Posted by jakemccarty
    your topic sounds interesting. I myself have tried to distinguish the yaqtul and yaqtulu (which is the step prior to yours) forms and because BW's does not search vowels, I wasn't even able to start the first step. If you can figure out a way to perform the prerequisite search to what you are trying to do, I would certainly be interested.
    Hi: BW does search vowels in Hebrew Bible.

Moon-Ryul Jung

Quote Originally Posted by moonryul
    Hi, Michael: Thanks for the response. I think I can write a search program
    for phrases and clauses if I have a WTM text with word-level tagging.
    Tagging WTM at Phrase and clause levels would be a lot of work!
    But that is not needed. We can write down rules about how phrases
    are composed of words and other phrases. The syntactic grammar of a language has to do with such rules. The search engine that might
    satisfy me is EMDROS (www.emdros.org). I am studying that engine now.

Sincerely

Moon-Ryul Jung

Moon Jung
    Hi Moon,

It's interesting that you're having a look at Emdros. I have a friend in Canberra who is importing the WIVU database into it so that he can conduct phrase- and clause-level searches (and beyond) on the Hebrew text. And another friend in Sydney is compiling it for Mac.

The WIVU database is tagged at the level you desire and is now found in the SESB software package:

http://www.dbg.de/article.php?channe...e80a16a4672752
    http://www.logos.com/products/details/1981

See my review:

http://www.logos.com/press/reviews/hiphil06-2005

However, the Libronix software cannot utilise the database to its full capacity. I see on the Emdros site under "Latest News" that Logos has bought a license for Emdros, so that's promising.

Here's the site for the Werkgroep Informatica, the group producing the WIVU database:

http://www.th.vu.nl/~wiweb/const/index.htm

Some things you may be interested in reading concerning phrase- and clause-tagging and the WIVI database may be:

Talstra, Eep. “Clause Types and Textual Structure: An Experiment in Narrative Syntax.” Pages 166-181 in Narrative and Comment: Contributions to Discourse Grammar and Biblical Hebrew, Presented to Wolfgang Schneider on the Occasion of His Retirement as a Lecturer of Biblical Hebrew at the Theologische Hochschule in Wuppertal. Edited by Eep Talstra. Societas Hebraica Amstelodamensis. Kampen: Kok Pharos, 1995.
    Talstra, Eep. “Hebrew Syntax: Clause Types and Clause Hierarchy.” Pages 180-193 in Studies in Hebrew and Aramaic Syntax: Presented to Professor J. Hoftijzer on the Occasion of His Sixty-Fifth Birthday. Edited by K. Jongeling, H. J. Murre-van den Berg, and L. van Rompay. Studies in Semitic Languages and Linguistics 17. Leiden: Brill, 1991.
    Talstra, Eep. “A Hierarchy of Clauses in Biblical Hebrew Narrative.” Pages 85-118 in Narrative Syntax and the Hebrew Bible: Papers of the Tilburg Conference 1996. Edited by Ellen van Wolde. Biblical Interpretation Series 29. Leiden: Brill, 1997.
    Talstra, Eep. “Towards a Distributional Definition of Clauses in Classical Hebrew.” Ephemerides Theologicae Lovanienses 63 (1986): 95-105.
    Talstra, Eep. “Workshop: Clause Types, Textual Heirarchy, Translation in Exodus 19, 20 and 24.” Pages 119-132 in Narrative Syntax and the Hebrew Bible: Papers of the Tilburg Conference 1996. Edited by Ellen van Wolde. Biblical Interpretation Series 29. Leiden: Brill, 1997.

Also, there is the Andersen-Forbes database that incluses tagging at the phrase- and clause-level. I haven't had time to load it yet.

http://blog.logos.com/archives/2005/..._andersen.html

Anyway, hope this helps. Let me know what you find out or where you publish.

Regards,
    David Kummerow.