Thread: Diagramming Conjunctions

Question Diagramming Conjunctions

Hi,

I'm currently trying to diagram Eph 5:19, which has a conjunction of 3 nouns (yalmoij, umnoij, wdaij) for the participle lalountej. How can I adjust the basic conjunction symbol to accept 3 items instead of just 2? Also, how does one go about replacing the default (X) in the conjunction symbol with the appropriate conjunction, such as kai?

Thanks and God bless.

Bill

To add additional elements to a "lazy y"-shaped conjunction symbol:

1. Enlarge the conjunction vertically by dragging an appropriate node.
    2. Drag out onto the canvas an appropriate number of "generic horizontal line" symbols (one for each word in excess of the two words provided for by the conjunction symbol itself).
    3. Drag out onto the canvas the same number of "additional conjunction" symbols.
    4. Load the symbols with their words.
    5. Drag the horizontal line symbols so that their LEFT ends connect to the vertical dotted line within the Y conjunction symbol, approximating the desired final vertical position within the overall conjunction system.
    6. Drag the additional conjunction symbols so that their RIGHT ends connect to that same dotted line, again approximating the desired final vertical position.
    7. Tweak the appearance by
    a. adjusting the length of the generic lines containing the main words
    b. dragging the LEFT node of the conjunction symbols to adjust the
    horizontal position of the conjunctions within the overall conjunction
    system
    c. dragging interior elements up and down by holding down the alt key
    while dragging up or down an element's point of connection to the
    vertical dotted line within the Y conjunction symbol
    d. adjusting the overall size of the conjunction system

I hope I haven't left anything out. It takes some playing to get it to look good.

I did leave out one thing you asked: replace the (X) by just dragging a word from the text pane down onto the conjunction slot that contains the (X).

Lightbulb Eph 5:18-21

Quote Originally Posted by irbill
    Hi,

I'm currently trying to diagram Eph 5:19, which has a conjunction of 3 nouns (yalmoij, umnoij, wdaij) for the participle lalountej. How can I adjust the basic conjunction symbol to accept 3 items instead of just 2? Also, how does one go about replacing the default (X) in the conjunction symbol with the appropriate conjunction, such as kai?

Thanks and God bless.

Bill
    I just did a sermon series through Ephesians a few months ago Bill...and I remember from my study that there are actually five participles in that paragraph...ending in 5:21 (see O'Brien on Ephesians). If I recall they all revolve around 'be filled with the Holy Spirit' in 5:18. So this is a case where diagramming one verse only may not capture the true structure....you may need to go from 5:18 to 5:21...

Smile Many Thanks

Randy, David,

Thanks for the input. It took me a while to get back to Ephesians, but with your input I've been able to make progress.

God bless.

Bill