Thread: Cross Version Search from command line

Default Cross Version Search from command line

Hi,
    I am a new user, just got BW7, and I'm probably just making a mistake or not "getting" something. The online help says that when you do a cross version search,

The Search Window verse list box will contain a list of all verses where a match was found. The results are mapped to the current search version. Stats apply only to the search as performed in the current search version. If you see a verse ref with a single asterisk by it and no number, this is a verse for which no hit was found in the current search version, but there was a hit in one of the other display versions. Hits will be highlighted in all display versions.
    Does this work for everyone? I get a box entitled "Cross Version Search Results," and it lists each version and the number of hits, and when I click on one of them, the hits in that version are displayed, but I don't have verse references "with a single asterisk by it and no number."

So for example, if I do a cross version search for "abandoning" in NRS and NET, I can either show one hit in the NRS or two hits in the NET, but I can't seem to get the result indicated by the first sentence of the quote, "a list of all verses where a match was found." I seem to get a list of all verses where a match was found _in the current version_.

One other thing...the Online Help on this section ends with the following note:

Note that because the Cross Version search mode deals with multiple versions, you must be in Multiple Version mode to use the feature. That is, Multiple Version Browse Mode must be turned off.
    Am I correct that the last word is an error, and should read, "on?" Or am I just missing something completely?

I love the program, it is great. This is the only part of it that I am not getting. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glt
    Hi,
    Does this work for everyone? I get a box entitled "Cross Version Search Results," and it lists each version and the number of hits, and when I click on one of them, the hits in that version are displayed, but I don't have verse references "with a single asterisk by it and no number."
    I think this is a holdover from version 6.0. In 6.0 you could do searches of the Bible in multiple versions, but you couldn't search (for example) the Greek New Testament, Josephus, and the Apostolic Fathers at the same time. To remedy this, BW7 came up with the "Cross Version Search Results" window. This then removed the asterisks from the verse list under the command line (BW6 informed you if the verse with an asterisk had your chosen word in a different version from your search version).

So for example, if I do a cross version search for "abandoning" in NRS and NET, I can either show one hit in the NRS or two hits in the NET, but I can't seem to get the result indicated by the first sentence of the quote, "a list of all verses where a match was found." I seem to get a list of all verses where a match was found _in the current version_.
    You are absolutely right. This feature of 6.0 is no longer available in 7.0 Currently you have to click on a different version in order to get the list of verses for that version. If you want to get the capability back to see a complete list of verse for all versions, you may want to contact support@bibleworks.com and see what they can do.

One other thing...the Online Help on this section ends with the following note:

Am I correct that the last word is an error, and should read, "on?" Or am I just missing something completely?
    Yes, it should read "on". Actually the word "Browse" needs to be omitted from this sentence of Help, so that it reads "Multiple Version Mode must be turned on".
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 04-05-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks Mark,

It appears the program is working correctly, but differently than the online documentation.

I can get the result I want using the Graphical Search Engine, or filtering verse lists in the Verse List manager. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a simple command line search option.

Gary