Thread: To Upgrade or Replace...

Default To Upgrade or Replace...

As I prepare to head of to Cambodia without my library I see the need to upgrade or replace my BibleWorks 3.2 app . It just will not run on my new laptop with XP. It was working under W2K just fine . My problem is I really need an electronic library to take along and logos seems tempting. Unfortunately none of the included commentaries and what not really appeal to me. I'd have to pay for everything I'd want.
    Can the compiler (Not available for 3.2 ) add commentaries? Most of what I want is available for download free as they're by dead guys... In my past life I wrote code for a living and have gotten proficient at writing converters and formatters. (Love those regexp's)
    Apparently I can't get a discount upgrading from 3.2 and that was an upgrade anyway so I no longer have the appropriate page to mail in so there's "Upgrade" incentive to stay loyal...

Your thoughts would be appriciated.
    In Christ
    Mark Baldwin

Red face

Dear Mark, I was using BW 3.5 and suddenly I got a mail telling me it was my last chance to either upgrade now to BW 6 or buy the next version of BW @ retail price.

After considering for a little while (considering budget wise) I realized that BW is the best tool I have and it was worth the upgrade.

I am a Pastor in what's consider a 3rd World Country, so for me the $160.00 upgrade was Q1,280.00 in my currency, but I thought, if I can spend some good bucks in something else, why not in something that I already know works great and I need it.

I also own, PCStudy Bible 4.0, QuickVerse 8.0, Logos Lybronix with quite a few STEP Libraries, but, being honest, nothing is quite comparable to the flexibility and power that BW gives me.

So, I encourage you to request and extemporary "upgrade" and if that fails, make the effort to buy BW 6, it's worth every penny of it.

Hope this helps.

Default Upgrade & Compiler

Hello Mark,

I would highly recommend the upgrade. It is worth every penny! The Version Database Compiler (VDC) is quite flexible. Take a look at the forum entitled "Master List of Bibleworks Addons." The lead post has a running list of all the user databases that have been compiled with the VDC. Folks have added several helpful tools...Wesley's abridged NT commentary, the Quran, etc...These tools have the potential of being quite helpful on the mission field. Of course the VDC was orginally created to support new translations of the Bible, but it is flexible enough to be used for almost anything Greek, Hebrew or English!

If you put your programming knowledge to work and put some public domain texts into Bibleworks format, then I am sure that there would be other folks interested in sharing.

I agree with what you are saying about other programs. Given the cost, often what you are left with is a bunch of public domain texts that one could obtain for free off the internet. Of course there are helpful resources included, but I have not found them to be worth the money spent. At least with Bibleworks you are paying for more than you need, and you can use it to compile the things that you would have found on the net for free!

~Jim
    Last edited by jdarlack; 04-16-2004 at 09:50 PM.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing