Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.0 Fix: Editor Dead Keys

Default 7.0 Fix: Editor Dead Keys

Update: BibleWorks Executable (7.012v)
    Date: 03/11/06 at 11:27:59

This patch contains the latest BibleWorks 7.0 program executable.
    With this update the Greek Polytonic Keyboard shipped with Windows XP should now work in the BibleWorks editor. The fix affects all dead key entry using Unicode fonts.

This is a PREVIEW version intended for TESTING purposes. To access the update you must enter the word "preview" (no quotes) in the Updater Access Code Window, accessed from the Options Menu. If you are not comfortable running a preview version you can wait until the changes are tested and a non-preview version is posted. This will usually not take more than a day or two.

If you have problems with this update please post a reply to this message on the BibleWorks Forum in the Program and Database Updates section. If you post a response elsewhere we may not see it. Please do not use this section to post messages about anything but this update.

Thanks!

Default Version V not helping

I installed version V, but I still have the same problems. Accents and breathing marks are being rendered as question marks.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Do you have the normal Greek Polytonic KB installed like it says from here? I know the default windows map was diff than I'm used to using Antioch, but I thought everything seemed to work ok when I used that one.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Greek Polytonic

Yes, I had installed the Greek Polytonic, but that didn't work. (I even remembered to type the accent before the vowel...)
    My preferred keyboard is a version of the Logos one that I modified myself, but that didn't work either.
    My modified version matches a Keyman layout I formerly used, and for now, I am using Keyman when I want Greek in BW7 editor.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH
    Yes, I had installed the Greek Polytonic, but that didn't work. (I even remembered to type the accent before the vowel...)
    My preferred keyboard is a version of the Logos one that I modified myself, but that didn't work either.
    My modified version matches a Keyman layout I formerly used, and for now, I am using Keyman when I want Greek in BW7 editor.
    I also use the Logos Keyboard, and the fix does not correct the question marks inserted when typing breathings.

The Logos keyboard is (IMO) vastly superior to other Greek (and Hebrew) inputs, since you can intuitively add breathings and accents separately. Now that BW has Unicode support (which is GREAT!!) the two work together even better. It would be nice if the BW editor would work with it as well.

Default Could it be a Font Selection Problem

It doesn't work for me, either. I noticed, though, that when I type in Hebrew, which does work, the font selection pull down jumps to Ezra SIL. However, when I selected Unicode Greek, the font selection drop down is blank. Is this part of the problem?

**UPDATE**

I fixed the font selection problem through the file-properties context menu, but still cannot get accents to work. No help.
    Last edited by briantipton; 03-15-2006 at 03:43 PM.
    Brian Tipton
    Teacher
    North Oaks Church of Christ
    Valencia, California

Remember that you have to select both the Polytonic Keyboard and a Unicode Greek font. I tested it with Arial Unicode MS. It seems to work fine. What do the 5th and 6th items on the Editor status bar say? They should have the current font and current keyboard. They should say "Arial Unicode MS" and " Polytonic Greek" or some such thing.

Also, Microsoft has a free utility for creating your own keyboards. Do a Google on "Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator". You can create from scratch or modify any keyboard already on the system.

Default Unicode in user notes

Hi, Mike,
    I'm using 7.0.13a now.
    I've tried with both the standard Windows Greek Polytonic and with a keyboard that I've set up for myself using MS Keybd Layout Creator.
    Everything works fine in MSWord.
    I can confirm that I am using a Unicode font (usually Cardo, but I also tried w/ Arial Unicode MS) and am using the Greek keyboard, but I am still getting question marks every time I try to enter breathing or accents.
    This is something to figure out at some point, but I don't know that it needs to be a priority right now. For now, I am just using Keyman, and that works fine.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Mark,
    Can you send me your INI file? Also, what version of Internet Exporer do you have?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Post Any Progress?

Has there been any progress in resolving the Greek Unicode issue under XP?

Anxious.
    Brian Tipton
    Teacher
    North Oaks Church of Christ
    Valencia, California