Thread: Bible Verse Memory Software

Default Bible Verse Memory Software

What does anyone use for memorizing passages of Scripture? I'm looking for something that will have a flashcard look, perhaps the ability to hide half the verse, and the ability to add verses. I would also want to be able to use versions besides the KJV (especially the NKJV and ESV).

Thanks!

Personally, I record myself saying the scripture and put that on my mp3 player and play through my car stereo going to work. I have to get familiar with the verses by reading them and writing them first, but then saying them audiably helps.

BW has a flashcard feature that is used for learning Greek/Hebrew, but I suppose you could use it for scripture memory as well.

I don't use it myself, but a nice program is http://www.memlok.com/

I actually use my kids! We work on a verse before they go to bed.

Since memorization is very much related to 1st century oral culture (see Walter Ong), I try to use as few prompts and gadgets as possible, usually just a text printed (from BW of course) on a normal piece of paper I can carry around.

www.laridian.com also has a memory feature.

Although I don't use that translation much, I think it was easier when everybody was on KJV.

Ps 119:11 . . .

Ingo
    Last edited by ingosorke; 03-12-2006 at 12:18 AM.

e-Sword (e-sword.net) has a scripture memory tool that pretty neat. If you're not familiar with it, e-Sword is a free bible study program. It's not as advanced as BW, but it's very complementary as it contains a lot of commentaries and dictionaries that BW doesn't.

Here's another handheld PC software that includes the ESV and a memorization tool:

http://www.acrodesigntech.com/pocket_pc_bible.html

See also the blog on it at www.esv.org/blog, scroll down . . .

Ingo