Thread: ActiveX???

Default ActiveX???

Hi guys, I installed BW7 and I was told that I needed an activeX component installed for firefox (that's my default browser). One of the reasons I used FireFox is to get away from ActiveX (which is a security nightmare) - Does BW7 really use ActiveX for something?

Quote Originally Posted by wezlo
    Hi guys, I installed BW7 and I was told that I needed an activeX component installed for firefox (that's my default browser). One of the reasons I used FireFox is to get away from ActiveX (which is a security nightmare) - Does BW7 really use ActiveX for something?
    I'm guessing, but it might be for the help videos??
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    I'm guessing, but it might be for the help videos??
    Wow, that was fast. I noticed that BW7 installed a flash-player for the movies, and this was specifially a browser object - so I'm not sure that would be it; but it's a good thought.

BW uses COM (related to Active X) to permit HTML Help to communicate with BW (for things like verse poups). It is also used for interaction between Word and BibleWorks, and also in the Help Videos. It's used all over the place. It also permits users to interact with BibleWorks using java and Word Basic.

Mike