Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7.0 Cumulative Update 7.0.012o

Lightbulb Perhaps you could ...

It is very difficult for the programmers to determine the reasons for the crashers you experience when you provide as little information as you do.

There is a faq, I guess, that explains how you can help them. If you are able to run BW7 from the standard setup, then try to change one thing at a time. Change a parameter, exit BW to make it update the ini file, and the run BW again. If it works, change the next parameter.

I know it's tedious, but my own experience is that this is a helpful way to proceed. As soon as you know what causes the crash, they will fix it quickly, if you send a detailed explanation and the ini file that was saved just before the crash.

Good luck.

Georg
    Dr. Georg S. Adamsen, Denmark
    Editor, http://www.Revelation-Resources.com and
    WordPress @ Blogos.dk (featuring Danish localizations for WordPress plugins, themes etc.)

With all due respect, Dr. Adamsen, I am a Microsoft Certified Application Developer and a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer with both certs on the .NET platform; I write this stuff for a living.

The fact is, I did try one thing at a time, namely:
    1. Remove antivirus. Problem remained.
    2. Remove Webroot SpySweeper. Problem remained.
    3. Un-installed and reinstalled Bibleworks 7 from CD, with antivirus and SpySweeper still uninstalled. Problem remained.
    4. Applied the latest patch "s". Problem remains.
    The following information can be deduced by any competent developer: The INI file is a critical clue in the problem in that it has to be reset in order for BibleWorks to function - even if NO changes have been made to the Bibleworks settings. The question, therefore, is what happens in the code execution, upon program launch, that would immeidately cause a crash? Furthermore, as I stated, BibleWorks does not crash during use or after long periods of idle activity. This is also helpful information.

The developers can direct the troubleshooting approach as they see fit. If there are logs or a diag mode, I will be happy to do what it takes to assist the developers.

So, if they require further technical information, I trust they will request it, as they see fit, in due course. I believe that's what this forum is for.

David S. Mohler
    ClearLogic Corporation
    Dayton, OH
    Last edited by dsmohler; 03-06-2006 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmohler
    So, if they require further technical information, I trust they will request it, as they see fit, in due course. I believe that's what this forum is for.

David S. Mohler
    ClearLogic Corporation
    Dayton, OH
    I assume you've contacted the BW tech support directly? (http://www.bibleworks.com/support.html) That's really the #1 way to deal with these issues. Messages on forums can get answers, but generally not as quickly and you're not necessarily guaranteed anything.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

The armchair authorities on technical support in this forum are somewhat perplexing.

Bibleworks posts the following in these very forums:

If you have problems with this update please post a reply to this message on the BibleWorks Forum in the Program and Database Updates section. If you post a response elsewhere we may not see it. Please do not use this section to post messages about anything but this update.

This is sufficient instruction to me that the forums are monitored, and that I should afford the patience required for the engineers to finish current issues and then address mine. Frankly, the support by Bibleworks is sterling (especially compared to Biblesoft) and the frequent updates delivered by Bibleworks is more than commendable.

I am not at all concerned about the quality or timeliness of the support! I am thrilled with the product, thrilled with the rapid updating, thrilled with the forum responses from Bibleworks and quite annoyed with the academic authorities who feel they need to instruct a 25-year professional developer on how techncial support should be requested.

David S. Mohler
    ClearLogic Corporation
    Dayton, OH

The armchair authorities on technical support in this forum are somewhat perplexing.

Bibleworks posts the following in these very forums:

If you have problems with this update please post a reply to this message on the BibleWorks Forum in the Program and Database Updates section. If you post a response elsewhere we may not see it. Please do not use this section to post messages about anything but this update.

This is sufficient instruction to me that the forums are monitored, and that I should afford the patience required for the engineers to finish current issues and then address mine. Frankly, the support by Bibleworks is sterling (especially compared to Biblesoft) and the frequent updates delivered by Bibleworks is more than commendable.

I am not at all concerned about the quality or timeliness of the support! I am thrilled with the product, thrilled with the rapid updating, thrilled with the forum responses from Bibleworks and quite annoyed with the academic authorities who feel they need to instruct a 25-year professional developer on how techncial support should be requested.

David S. Mohler
    ClearLogic Corporation
    Dayton, OH
    Well not all users are as patient as you are. I am sorry if I caused undue confusion. Indeed you can respond to things on this thread, but in general most people want answers "now" and the forums can't always get that. The reason I directed you to email tech support rather than just posting here is because your problem seems not to be with this specific patch, but something else. All I was doing was trying to tell you how to get the best help possible. Sorry if you felt misled.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Sorry ...

... quite annoyed with the academic authorities who feel they need to instruct a 25-year professional developer on how techncial support should be requested.

David S. Mohler
    ClearLogic Corporation
    Dayton, OH
    Professional developer or not, academic or not, this is a user forum, and I, as one user, simply tried to help both Bibleworks and you, another user. It may be that I misread what you wrote. I am sorry about that. I promise I will do whatever I can to not let it happen again.

Nevertheless, I am surprised that you speak contemptuously of academics, only because a signature reveals that some persons are academics in one way or another. I signed with my Christian name only (as did you), as my professional status is, I guess, irrelevant.

On the other hand, you emphasize that it is not necessary to give any suggestions to you, as you are a professional developer. I am sorry that I annoyed you as a professional developer, experienced in programming, design, and - perhaps - friendly user interaction. It was not intentional on my part, however. It could not be, as you did not write anything about your own professional status.

When I wrote in the heading: "Perhaps you could ...", this was, really, meant as a kind suggestion to you, of course, but also to us all. Sorry that I did not express myself more precisely.

Georg
    Dr. Georg S. Adamsen, Denmark
    Editor, http://www.Revelation-Resources.com and
    WordPress @ Blogos.dk (featuring Danish localizations for WordPress plugins, themes etc.)

Going to back to the original problem of Mr Mohler: I had in the beginning similar problems. Mine was that I hadnot installed ASV which is apparently on the installation-CD's preconfigured to pop up when you hover over those text references in green in the Analysis window. The remedy was that I changed in View/choose popup versions ASV into BGT WTT (in my case, but any other will do as well, as long as they have been installed, of course).

Well, for what it is worth - having a mere programming experience of a couple of years while collecting a couple of academic titles.

From my armchair, Gert

(yes, I am not pleased with the tone of the conversation )

The change in letters is OK. Sometimes I post minor changes without notification.

Mike