Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probably an old question

Default Probably an old question

I'm a newbie on the forum, and this question has probably been asked....but...

I want to search for all english words which are used to translate a given greek word... in particular every english word used to translate 'eis'...
    Thanks...

If you have Strong's numbers on, and you locate a verse where the Greek word eis has a Strong's number for that word, by putting your cursor over that Strong's number, all the KJV translations of that word will display in the Analysis window. The trick is to find a verse where someone thought that it was important enough to include the Strong's number for such a common word. Not every instance of a word gets a Strong's number in translations.
    Mark Eddy

OK...that gets everywhere 'eis' has a strongs number assigned, but I want all of them...is there a way to do that ....other than doing it manually?

Quote Originally Posted by Radiulo
    OK...that gets everywhere 'eis' has a strongs number assigned, but I want all of them...is there a way to do that ....other than doing it manually?
    Other than using Strong's numbers, I think you'd be out of luck. There is no way BW can tell you what Greek or Hebrew words are translated as into English. Strong's numbers are an attempt to do that, but, to my knowledge, there wouldn't be any other way to do that in any computer program unless someone has tagged it that way.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Bdag??

This is just a guess, since I haven't used it, but I would think that BDAG would have that information. Maybe not since it's such a common word. If nothing else, e-Sword has a module called KJV Commentary that lists all the KJV translations and refs of a Greek or Heb word.

The best I could suggest is doing a search for eis in a Greek version, and keeping that verse list just look across the different translations. This isn't as easy as what you want, but I don't think there is any other way.

Considering all the english translations out there, no one has all of the ways eis is translated. Even the BDAG tends to give different ways words are used rather than specifically how the word is always translated, though it does give some specific translation examples.
    M.Div Candidate, Beeson Divinity School
    http://www.musterion.net/

Quote Originally Posted by manthano
    This is just a guess, since I haven't used it, but I would think that BDAG would have that information. Maybe not since it's such a common word. If nothing else, e-Sword has a module called KJV Commentary that lists all the KJV translations and refs of a Greek or Heb word.
    Yes, but even this, if it runs like you say, would only give KJV translations for that lemma in which case it's not much better (different) than Strong's "definitions"

maybe it's appropriate to take a step back and ask why you want to know or what it is you're trying to do. I mean nothing is going to do what you're asking here, but maybe you want to know something for which someone knows a (better) resource.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Why???

OK. Fair question.

I am a member of a denomination with some peculiar doctrines which I am re-thinking. One in particular depends on the definition of the word eis in Ax 2.38. I'm trying to establish a range of meanings to see if our 'official' understanding of that verse 1) is even valid, or 2) is as valid as some other understandings of it.

Is that clear as mud?
    Taylor (aka Radiulo)

If you look at Robertson's Word Pictures for that verse
    (RESOURCES>MISCELLANEOUS TOOLS>Robertson)
    he says that neither interpretation has strong argument over the other, and it's essentially decided by ones preconceived notion on the topic.

I like Robertson, since he's kind of a quick commentary on the Greek. Mine's a little rusty, so he's useful.

Edit: I shoud point out that since we avoid theological "discussions" on this board, I was trying to point out how BW tools reference it, not get anywhere theological.
    Last edited by Ben Spackman; 02-19-2006 at 01:13 AM.
    Ben

Default Acts 2.38

The NET Bible has a long and balanced comment on that very preposition. (Cf the NET Bible notes.)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools