Thread: Crash-o-rama!

Default Crash-o-rama!

Yikes! My computer seems to be allergic to BW 7.0, or vice versa: it keeps crashing left and right, even after all of the new patches have been installed. The ini is not being recorded or stored after each crash (despite what the "crash" window says), nothing is being sent to BW (ala Windows XP when MS programs crash), and I have to go through all the tweaking processes every time I reopen BW 7.0 (changing font sizes, etc.). I am at a real loss as to where I should start looking for the causes of all these crashes. If I remember correctly, the same sort of problems arose when BW 6.0 was first introduced, and it took Michael only a few days to come up with a slew of salvation patches, so I guess all I can do is wait for Mike to display some of his programming magic.

There is a good chance the BW staff WONT see this on the forum. You will want to contact them at support:

http://www.bibleworks.com/support.html

This should get your issue resolved quicker

Default Crash-a-dash

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Luna
    This should get your issue resolved quicker
    I'm not so sure about that for several reasons: many people are going to start experiencing crashes, and although the BW staff regularly seems to reads these forums, other people besides staff members often come up with good answers / solutions / explanations, etc. (that's one of the points of having a forum to begin with), plus the weekend is upon us (when the BW office is closed), and so on.

I just got BW7 the other day. After playing with it for about an hour, it crashed and wouldn't start without crashing. I'm pretty sure that what happened is that I installed a user module that was corrupted, but I didn't know that at the time. Not knowing what else to do, I reinstalled BW and it has worked great ever since, including all my user modules.

I noted later that the help files suggest not installing after compile for this very reason.

Have you tried just reinstalling BW? If all else fails, do contact BW technical support. If this turns out to be an issue that affects others, then they will be sure to release a patch or workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by pingpongjedi
    I just got BW7 the other day. After playing with it for about an hour, it crashed and wouldn't start without crashing. I'm pretty sure that what happened is that I installed a user module that was corrupted, but I didn't know that at the time. Not knowing what else to do, I reinstalled BW and it has worked great ever since, including all my user modules.

I noted later that the help files suggest not installing after compile for this very reason.

Have you tried just reinstalling BW? If all else fails, do contact BW technical support. If this turns out to be an issue that affects others, then they will be sure to release a patch or workaround.
    Are there certain places you are in the program or doing certain things when it crashes? Compiling and installing user modules shouldn't crash BW. At least it has not as I've experienced it. The more specific you are describing when it crashes, the easier it would be to guess why.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I don't remember exactly what I was doing when it crashed the first time, but after it crashed, it wouldn't even start up without crashing. But, after reinstalling, everything worked great (and continues to work great).

I should also mention that I had internet explorer 7 installed, and I've noticed a general problem with IE7 and help files. For some reason, IE7 can't display a lot (but not all) help file pages. This is not limited to, but does affect, BW help files. I uninstalled IE7 (rolling back to IE6), and all my helpfiles display correctly. This is really independent of the BW crash, since I had BW working with IE7, only the help files wouldn't display.

Default What to do when the program won't start

There are already hundreds of installations of BW7 and this error has not been reported yet. What we need is step by step procedures to reproduce it. Then we can have it fixed in a couple of hours.

In the mean time open the help file at Chapter 42 Getting help. In the section "Solving Most Common Problems" click on "Startup Options". This will instruct you how to start up BW and perform some operations, one of which will usually recover from such things.

1. I would recommend starting with the option to delete "Context Files".

2, If that doesn't work try "Disable Userversions". If this works you may have installed a corrupt user version. You can manually delete its files and if you want to take alook send the DDF file and the TXT for the version.

3. If none of this work try the option to delete the bw700.ini fil.

One of these alwamost always will get you up and running. Again, a set of reproducible steps would be a great help.

We are monitoring the forum for the first few weeks of the release, but it is always a good idea to send bug reports to support@bibleworks.com. It is important that they get information, not just on bugs, but frequency of occurrence. But the forum is not guranteed to get a response from BW, while a report to tech support is.

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by MBushell; 02-18-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Exclamation Report Generator Crash

I think this one is reproducible; I've done it 3x in a row with the same results each time.

1) Start BW
    2) Tools | Report Generator
    3) Verse Range: Version = NET, Range = John 1:1-3; Report Options: everything checked except Global Form Usage Summary, Global Lemma Usage Summary, and Eliminate verses with no notes
    4) Lexicons: Friberg, UBS, Louw-Nida, Holladay
    5) Versions: NET BGT BYZ WTT, Analyze BGT BYZ WTT
    6) Click "Build Report"
    7) Report is built, but then the program crashes with the shutdown options.

I unchecked the chapter/verse notes options as well as the hebrew versions/lexicon options, and it took about 10 seconds longer, but it still crashed.

Default Ditto

Yes, I get a crash here, too. But I also get crashes in other places as well, so I will try to record in detail when and where this happens and send it to the BW address listed above.

I have no doubt that the problem is not with BW 7.0, per se, but for one reason or another is due to interference from one of the shoddily constructed programs that I have installed on my computer.

Default Collecting system information

I didn't know this until a few minutes ago, but you can easily collect system information (like *.ini information, etc) by going to Help | About and clicking on "System Information." MikeB. contacted me about the crash I was having and requested this information. It's a lot easier doing this than digging for it manually.