Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table In Editor

Default Table In Editor

I have created a table in MS Word. It has two columns and one row, however, the row is extended downward for about tweny lines or so.

The file is an RTF file.

The BW Editor will not preserve the formating at all. The text flows through the table as if no table were there, and the table itself (in the editor) has only one line.

Can anybody reproduce something similar?

Does it do the same (i.e. cause problems) doing it the opposite way? Having the same (or a similar table) made in the Editor and then viewing it in Word? I haven't used any tables yet so I can't say I've experienced any of it. Just curious if Word is doing something different to the tables.... I guess the other way would be to see if it shows up in Wordpad okay too since the Editor has much of the same functions as that program.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    I guess the other way would be to see if it shows up in Wordpad okay too since the Editor has much of the same functions as that program.
    You are correct -- Wordpad also does not preserve the formatting. IOW, Wordpad and the Editor display it exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos
    You are correct -- Wordpad also does not preserve the formatting. IOW, Wordpad and the Editor display it exactly the same.
    So then MS Word "cheats" when you save a table as RTF? In the past when I've saved things in Word in a format in which things weren't supported Word would at least tell me, such and such things are not compatible with this file format. Anyway, if Wordpad can't display this table properly, I don't believe the Editor would be able to either unless some code was changed, but it is odd that Word saves it to RTF when it obviously isn't completely compatible. In other words, it's not a "bug" in the Editor, seems to me more like a bug in Word
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    In other words, it's not a "bug" in the Editor, seems to me more like a bug in Word
    If not a bug, at least yet another of MS's "proprietary" oddities, but I suspect you'd be hard pressed to get MS to acknowledge it as such.

Exchanging RTF files has been a perennial problem with different programs in the past, albeit Davka has finally got it pretty well worked out, but not perfectly, and I am sure this is due to MS not adhering to a standard.

Default Try pasting table

I just created a table in MSWord, copied it, and pasted it into BW7, and it comes in just fine.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH
    I just created a table in MSWord, copied it, and pasted it into BW7, and it comes in just fine.
    Did you have at least two columns and extend the first row into multiple rows by typing some text, then hitting return, typing more text, hitting return, etc.?

I hadn't thought of copy/paste -- I had just opened the RTF file -- but I just tried pasting into the Editor and got the same result, i.e., the formatting didn't carry through.

The fact that this doesn't go through in Wordpad shows that it's not a BW problem, just another of MS's many oddities.

However, if you do the above and it still works for you, then it probably has something to do with the OS. I guess it's inevitable that I'm going to have to upgrade to XP.

Hi adelfos Scott,

speaking of editors . . . shouldn't Bunyan's quote in Greek read
    apo thj amartiaj( h h amartia qa se fulaxei apo authj thj Bibliou

apo + Genitive for two prepositional phrases, thus thj amartiaj and authj thj Bibliou

Correct me if I'm mistaken. P.S. Upgrade to XP? Might as well wait for Vista!

Ingo Sorke

Default table copy

I made a 3x3 table and used multiple lines (ie, Enters within a cell) and it pasted in perfectly to BW7.
    I am using WinXP...
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by ingosorke
    ...Correct me if I'm mistaken. P.S. Upgrade to XP? Might as well wait for Vista!
    Ingo, the genitive falls by the wayside here in modern Greek. The language was virtually stable in its morphology for two thousand years, but in the past seventy-five years or so it has changed in a number of conventions.

I studied modern Greek before Biblical, and so just to be sure, I checked the quote with my neighbor, who was born and raised in Thessalonika. He (and his friends) of course not only speak their own mother tongue of Greek perfectly, but they also speak American English like Americans. In other words, you wouldn't know they were foreigners unless they told you.

And that kinda grates on me, because I can't seem to hide my accent unless I say only one word at a time.

I guess you're right on Vista. Truth is, I'm not going to upgrade my OS until I buy a new computer, so hopefully Vista and the new computers will come out during my time frame.