Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word List Manager Question

Default Word List Manager Question

With all the flurry of excitement and anticipation regarding 7.0 (mine is in the mail), it's going to be hard to get a question in sideways for a while on this forum, but here goes.

Can this be done in 6.0 (or in the brand new 7.0)? Let's say you compile a list of all words in BGM or BGT via the Word List Manager (total: 15506 words!). What I then need are all the Bible verses where each of these words appears. Of course, with the Word List Manager window I can see all of the verses if I click on each word. But is it possible to create a separate file with not only all of the words in say BGM, plus their frequencies, AND all of the Bible verses for each word. I then want to export this file (words, frequencies, and verses) into my word processor.

I'm not aware of a simple automatic process for what you want in BW6 or 7. It would be a massive output file.
    Ben

Default Yes, but...

Yes, the file would be huge (though it could be separated into smaller files), but that's not the question. The question is whether or not this can be done in 6.0 or 7.0. Apparently not, at least directly. Anyone out there have a workaround? Any brilliant ideas?

You can do this in BW6. Save the word list to an IEL file. Then build a simple query in the ASE with a single word box. Import the IEL file into the word box and you should be good to go.

Default Huh?

Thanks, but with all due respect, your explanation would be useful only to someone intimately familiar with the somewhat arcane functionings of the (relatively infrequently used) ASE. I guess I'll have to dig out the manual again, since I haven't used the ASE for a while. Wish me luck.

Default Creating an exhaustive concordance?

If I understand correctly, you are wanting to create an exhaustive concordance, with a list of verses for each word. Is that correct?

Glenn

Default Yes, a Concordance, sort of ...

What I need is quite simple: an alphabetical list of all the words in say BGM (the LXX/NT), and the verses where these words appear. This should be exportable as a file (preferably RTF). As I said above, there are about 15000 words in this database (most of them are proper names), but the file could be broken up into sections if things get out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by MTan
    You can do this in BW6. Save the word list to an IEL file. Then build a simple query in the ASE with a single word box. Import the IEL file into the word box and you should be good to go.
    I was able to follow these directions fairly easily. When you create the word list using the word list manager in the "File" drop-down list you should see the option "Save (as IEL...)" Choose that and name the file.
    Then type any BGM word on the command line, then click next to the command line (I think it was an arrow in BW6), and choose "Advanced Search Engine" from the drop-down list. The ASE will open with exactly one word box (as Mike Tan suggested).
    Then double click on that word box, delete the word, and check the option "Inclusion/exclusion list IEL".
    Then click the button "Load IEL", and your saved word list should appear in a new window. Click on it and click OK.
    It's at this point that I don't know what "good to go" means. If you click "go" in the ASE, (after a long time) you simply get a list of all the verses in your Bible version, with the number of words in each verse. That doesn't list the verses for all the separate the words, which I think is what this thread is supposed to find.
    If BW can do what this thread is seeking, I know of some Bible translators who can save months of time making a concordance of their new translation. It's that "good to go" part that confuses me.
    Mark Eddy

Default Sigh!

Dear MTan, Glenn, and Mark. Thanks for your input, but to to return to my original and as yet unanswered / unsolved yet simple question / problem: can BW 6.0 or 7.0 compile a list of all the words in a particular version, say BGM, with all of the accompanying verses conveniently listed? After fiddling with the ASE for an hour or so I still couldn't get it to work, per MTan's somewhat sketchy and mysterious instructions. If there eventually is a solution, please explain step-by-step in simple English even a ten year old could understand, just in case. I'm sure I'm not the only one would be interested in finding an easy way to compile a concordance, a point Glenn was making, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by tfjern
    Dear MTan, Glenn, and Mark. Thanks for your input, but to to return to my original and as yet unanswered / unsolved yet simple question / problem: can BW 6.0 or 7.0 compile a list of all the words in a particular version, say BGM, with all of the accompanying verses conveniently listed? After fiddling with the ASE for an hour or so I still couldn't get it to work, per MTan's somewhat sketchy and mysterious instructions. If there eventually is a solution, please explain step-by-step in simple English even a ten year old could understand, just in case. I'm sure I'm not the only one would be interested in finding an easy way to compile a concordance, a point Glenn was making, apparently.
    The parameters on your request are quite complicated.

I have met many a 10 year old who doesn’t seem able to understand a simple two letter word – “No.”

The simple answer to your request is ‘No.’

I believe I understand what you want. It seem like you would want a report which would read like: (Just an example the verses are pulled off the top of my head.)

metoikesi,a occurs in Matt. 1:2, 5, 2:5, …John 1:2, … Eph. 4:3…, etc.
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

As it stand right now the report generator will get kind of close:

• Tools – Report Generator
    • Version = BNM
    • Range = Matt – Rev (This will take a very long time, I ran it just for Matt. 1 for a test)
    • Lexicons = All unchecked
    • Versions = Blank
    • Analyze = BNT
    • Report Options = Only check “Include Frequency Lists (Grk)” & “Sort Frequency List by Frequency”

You get this for Matt. 1:

metoikesi,a occurs 4 times in matt 1 and 4 times in BNT.
    dekate,ssarej occurs 3 times in matt 1 and 5 times in BNT.
    VAbia, occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    VAbiou,d occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    VAzw,r occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    VAminada,b occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    VAmw,j occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    VAra,m occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    VAsa,f occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    VAca,z occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    VAci,m occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    Bo,ej occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    gasth,r occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 9 times in BNT.
    ge,nesij occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 5 times in BNT.
    ~Ezeki,aj occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    VElea,zar occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    VEliaki,m occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    VEliou,d occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    ~Esrw,m occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    Zorobabe,l occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    VIessai, occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 5 times in BNT.
    VIeconi,aj occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    VIwaqa,m occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    VIwbh,d occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    VIwra,m occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    VIwsafa,t occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    VIwsi,aj occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    Manassh/ occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    Matqa,n occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    Naassw,n occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    VOzi,aj occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    ~Roboa,m occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    Sadw,k occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    Salaqih,l occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    Salmw,n occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    Fa,rej occurs 2 times in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    bi,bloj occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 10 times in BNT.
    deigmati,zw occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    VEmmanouh,l occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 1 time in BNT.
    evnqume,omai occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 2 times in BNT.
    Za,ra occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 1 time in BNT.
    Qama,r occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 1 time in BNT.
    la,qra| occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 4 times in BNT.
    meqermhneu,w occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 8 times in BNT.
    mnhsteu,w occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 3 times in BNT.
    o;nar occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 6 times in BNT.
    Ouvri,aj occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 1 time in BNT.
    prosta,ssw occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 7 times in BNT.
    ~Raca,b occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 1 time in BNT.
    ~Rou,q occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 1 time in BNT.
    u[pnoj occurs 1 time in matt 1 and 6 times in BNT.

It seem like this Report Generator could be modified to give you what you are looking for.

Personally I don’t see the use for generating something like this for the entire NT or LXX/NT.

However, if the report worked with the current filters and you were able to create such a report on one book at a time (in other words, “Give me all the words that occur in John and where the occur in order of the overall frequency of occurrence in the NT”), that I see a use for.

So, again the simple answer is, ‘No” BibleWorks cannot currently give you exactly what you are looking for.

However, it seems to be a feature/function that could prove helpful. Therefore, I would submit it to ideas@bibleworks.com.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wrïa' ~yI©AGB;÷ ~Wrïa' ~yhi_l{a/ ykiänOa'-yKi W[d>Wâ WPår>h;