Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BW 7 Manual?

Cannot remember if I posted this previously in this thread or another. I would be satisfied with the online help if I could adjust the font size for viewing - especially UPWARD .
    Thanks Mike, for again considering our input.

Blessings,
    Al Cantley

FYI, you can print out a chapter in the manual by right clicking on a chapter in the table of contents. You can print the whole thing out at once, but if there is a need for that we can enable it by moving the whole TOC down one level, so that there is only one base item in the contents. Not sure if that's a good idea though. Given the print ability, I am not sure what value a PDF has.

Default Printing problem

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell
    FYI, you can print out a chapter in the manual by right clicking on a chapter in the table of contents. You can print the whole thing out at once.
    Actually, that doesn't work correctly. When I do that I get the following when asking to print the heading and everything under it:
    /!\ An error has occurred in the script on this page.
    Line: 128
    Char: 1
    Error: Object expected
    Code: 0
    URL: file//C:\ Documents and settings [...] ~hhD81.htm

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
    [Yes] [No]

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by vr8ce
    A number of few posts here would indicate otherwise. It isn't needed by you, but it is needed by others.
    You've confused the definition of "needed" with the definition of "desired"

The manual may be desired, but it's not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann
    Actually, that doesn't work correctly. When I do that I get the following when asking to print the heading and everything under it:
    /!\ An error has occurred in the script on this page.
    Line: 128
    Char: 1
    Error: Object expected
    Code: 0
    URL: file//C:\ Documents and settings [...] ~hhD81.htm

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
    [Yes] [No]

I get the same thing, but if I click "yes," it prints ok.

Cant we all just get along...?

I'm new to Bibleworks as of version 6 -yes I've upgraded to 7 - and I'm still finding it amazingly useful. (including the digital manual).

I will not blindly stand and defend "My program", "My superior qualifications", or any of the BibleWorks staff, however I pray that God bless the bibleworks staff and help them to continue building upon an already awesome tool for studying HIS word. Thank the Lord that we have this tool and the good folks who continue to develop it for us.

amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos
    You've confused the definition of "needed" with the definition of "desired". The manual may be desired, but it's not needed.
    No, actually, I haven't.
    v. require (something) because it is essential or very important rather than just desirable. (Oxford Concise, 10th ed.)

In my case, it is both essential and very important. For others here (from their posts, not trying to speak for anyone), it is one or the other. For others (including you, apparently), it is neither. However, the fact it is neither for some does not make it so for everyone.

Default Please stop trolling...

You've confused the definition of "needed" with the definition of "desired"

The manual may be desired, but it's not needed.
    No trolling please.

Quote Originally Posted by vr8ce
    In my case, it is both essential and very important.
    I'm sure Mike has taken note of your desire, as well as the others, just as he did when he polled people about this matter.

Of course, if a printed manual was needed, BW would have included it, for BW would not ship a product that was missing something that was actually needed. But since the help file is the same as a printed manual, only more up to date, this supplies the need, if not the desire of some.

Naturally, if someone could give a good reason why they can't legitimately access the help file, then that would certainly be important, and would provide a greater motive for spending time and money producing a printed manual. However, if one can access the help file containing all the information -- and then some -- of the printed manual, that would make the printed manual less of a must.

I wouldn't cry if BW sent me a printed manual, but as I said before, I'm much more interested in the new modules and other enhancements to the actual software than I am for a printed manual, and I'd hate to see those projects delayed because of a printed manual that can already be found in the help file.

Finally, every dollar that BW spends in the development of this program is ultimately going to affect the users. As of now, BW absorbs a whole lot of royalty and other costs that they do not pass on to us. That is significant as far as I'm concerned. And very much appreciated.

Accordingly, I not only want to return the favor by helping BW avoid extra costs when I am capable of doing so, such as in the production of a printed manual that I don't have to have, but furthermore, I don't want to have to pay more for the program and its modules in the future because BW was forced to spend money on items that are not absolutely crucial to the program, at least not for the vast, vast majority of users, for I suspect that most users would not claim that a printed manual is crucial for their use of the program.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 03-24-2006 at 01:05 AM.

But since the help file is the same as a printed manual, only more up to date, this supplies the need, if not the desire of some.
    Scott, I'm glad you don't need a manual, but please stop asserting that your lack of need translates directly to others lack of need. As has been communicated by multiple people on this thread, a help file does not supply the same need as a printed manual.

BW now has more input than they had originally how users feel about the manual, and they can decide what to do. We all understand how the resource allocation process works, and for some of us, we would nonetheless like them to produce a printed manual.