Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BW 7 Manual?

Hybrid View

Default BW 7 Manual?

I always enjoyed the printed manual that was provided by BW. Is there even a manual on the CD that can be printed out? I did not see one installed on the HD.

Please advise.

Thanks,

John Fidel

I haven't received the non-beta yet, but in the past a .pdf identical to the manual has been included somewhere in the program. I assume there is one again.
    Ben

Default No PDF

Right now there is no PDF of the Online Help.

It is something that may be posted in the future.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Default BW7 Manual

There is no printed BW 7 manual. We polled a number of users before dropping it and the consensus was that very few people use it. The main reason for the decision was not money, but time. It took a lot of time to keep both the printed manual and online help up to date when the content was so different. We were never really able to do that well. The plan is to keep the online help (which has be completely redone) really up to date with every program change. With limited staff this seemed like the best approach. Of course we are open to input for later versions.

Mike

Mike,

Has BibleWorks considered setting up a Wiki and allowing trusted users to add information to it? Wikis seem to be an excellent way to compile information, example, and to keep things up to date.

Just an idea (not exactly sure how a wiki would best work with BW, but always an option)

I liked the manual for BW 6 but I did notice occassions when the manual wasn't accurate after an update. I wasn't even aware of the online help, but I never looked. The idea of a wiki sounds great, wiki sites have probably given me more information on How To Do Stuff than anything else.
    M.Div Candidate, Beeson Divinity School
    http://www.musterion.net/

Default BW 7 Manual?

I've enjoy using the printed manual (since version 4, I think). For all the pleasure of using the computer for biblical research, I still long for hard copy when perusing the examples, etc. I hope that at some time in the future a revised printed user's guide can indeed be produced. A searchable and printable .pdf would be a good start.
    Dan Pater
    paterdr
    paterdr@hotmail.com

Default BibleWorks 7 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell
    There is no printed BW 7 manual. We polled a number of users before dropping it and the consensus was that very few people use it. The main reason for the decision was not money, but time. It took a lot of time to keep both the printed manual and online help up to date when the content was so different. We were never really able to do that well. The plan is to keep the online help (which has be completely redone) really up to date with every program change. With limited staff this seemed like the best approach. Of course we are open to input for later versions.

Mike
    ==============================================
    Greetings,

It is understandable that printing and keeping a paper manual synchronized with BibleWorks repairs and updates can be a challenging enterprise. Nevertheless, established methods to accomplish this do exist. In my occupation, documentation updates are a normal and necessary part of product support, without which, product sales and market share would be significantly reduced.

BibleWorks recent promise to keep the on-line help function current is commendable; a current help file though, should be an unquestioned and fundamental part of the product. Tutorials are a welcome addition, but neither on-line help, nor tutorials can substitute for a printed manual. In my opinion, it is irresponsible and counterproductive to not provide a printable and searchable comprehensive manual in file form, such as Adobe .pdf and/or Word .doc, which is kept current with BibleWorks 7 patches and distributed with program updates.

I have used BibleWorks since version 5. I upgraded and loaded version 7. However, as a result of not having a having a manual, I have not yet committed to version 7, and still have version 6 operational. Without a manual, even with on-line-help, I find Im not able to effectively use version 7. On-line help is valuable, but only as an adjunct to printed text. I will keep version 7, since I now have it, and it incorporates a couple of useful features. Had I been aware that no manual would be available, it is uncertain whether I would have upgraded to version 7.

In contrast to previous versions, I have not recommended version 7 to anyone, in part due to lack of a manual (other reasons: BibleWorks 7 is incredibly slow to load; the value-to-price ratio is low especially with no manual; BibleWorks practice of premature product release as a business practice; known problems and weaknesses that have gone uncorrected). It is revealing that, of the four individuals in my acquaintance who have earlier versions of BibleWorks, none have upgraded, or seem likely to do so. Each persons decision was made on their own, and is traceable to BibleWorks policies, usability, function, value, and practices. If one of BibleWorks goals is long-term survival in the software market, these people need to be upgrading. BibleWorks needs to offer a total product package that makes a compelling argument for upgrades (or new purchase). One out of five is not a good upgrade ratio (although this ratio may or may not be typical). If BibleWorks continues in its present direction, version 7 will likely be the last version I routinely upgrade I may upgrade, but future BibleWorks versions will have to make a far more compelling case for doing so than the current version.

I would like to see BibleWorks succeed. Its basically a good product, some of its features and functions are noteworthy, and Im sure the people at BibleWorks are making good-faith efforts to produce the best possible product. However, BibleWorks could benefit from a comprehensive review of how to best direct its energies to maximize product function and customer value.

Best Wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Henley
    ==============================================
    Greetings,

In my occupation, documentation updates are a normal and necessary part of product support, without which, product sales and market share would be significantly reduced.

That is not universal for software.

I remember is 1996 while a full-time Oracle DBA, Oracle stopped shipping printed manuals. You could still get them if you wanted, for the small price of something like $200.00.

In 2002, while still working as a full-time Oracle DBA (also in seminary at this time) most of my younger Oracle DBA co-workers had never even seen a printed Oracle manual.

I am not saying I didn't like or use the printed manual, in fact I did. I miss it. I have worked at creating a PDF and probably will finish that when I have time.

However, this is not a new trend...
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fleener
    However, this is not a new trend...
    You're right. It is not a new trend, but it is a very unfortunate one, IMO.

Rubn Gmez