Thread: Bw7 Kwic

Hybrid View

Default Bw7 Kwic

I just loaded 7.0 and am very impressed. A question: Is there a way to get text into the KWIC besides typing it? I would assume there would be a right mouse menu to take a word to the KWIC, but did not find one

I tried copying using ctrl c and pasting ctrl v and the word copies but the search indicates there is no such word. Hopefully I am just overlooking something here, because one should not have to type text to perform this search.

Thanks and BW.. great work!

John Fidel

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel
    I just loaded 7.0 and am very impressed. A question: Is there a way to get text into the KWIC besides typing it? I would assume there would be a right mouse menu to take a word to the KWIC, but did not find one

I tried copying using ctrl c and pasting ctrl v and the word copies but the search indicates there is no such word. Hopefully I am just overlooking something here, because one should not have to type text to perform this search.

Thanks and BW.. great work!

John Fidel
    You can email the BW folks about getting a right mouse menu to take something to KWIC. I'm sure it'd be something easily done (famous last words ).

On specific words, tell me what things you were doing. You should be able to copy and paste words...
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Open the BGT in BW and copy any text to the KWIC and you will get "no matches found". I made sure the versions of the copy and paste into KWIC are the same.

Try it and let me know.

I really don't like typing when most of the words I would want to use this tool for will come directly from the text I am studying.

Do you have the specific e mail address to make this suggestion?

Thanks

John Fidel

To contact BW staff for feature requests, etc. you can use this address
    BW staff doesn't really read the forums looking to answer people's questions. So when you have specific requests, you have to email them instead.

I see what you mean in your request. It appears that the KWIC search doesn't like accents/breathing marks. It only looks for the word. In this sense it functions like the command line. In the command line you couldn't copy a word like that and have it search for it either. But this sounds like a good addition and makes it easier to use. Email 'em and describe what doesn't work and how you'd rather it worked and they'll put it on their long list of things to do and hopefully get it done
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Searching KWIC from Browse Window

Dear John,

That's a great idea. I've put in a plug for its inclusion in the program. I can't say if or when it can be implemented, as we are all very busy right now.

Simply copying Greek text from the Browse Window to the Command Line or to the KWIC module doesn't work because searching on Greek accents is off by default. Place your mouse on the Command Line and right-click to open the Command Line context menu, and select Accent Sensitive Search (Greek), and then it will work. Of course, then you have to include the proper accents in all your Greek searches until you uncheck the accent sensitive searching.

Glenn

Glenn,

Thanks for the reply. I will look forward the the update down the road.

John Fidel