Thread: No BW on new Macs!!

Hybrid View

Exclamation No BW on new Macs!!

Just an FYI, those hoping to buy a new Mac with the Intel processors will be giving up your BW!!

Virtual PC does not work with these new processors AND Microsoft hasn't announced if they will support the new chips. The new Intel chips won't run Mac 9 Classic mode either.

Also FWIW, Microsoft Office for Mac will be updated, but it isn't available yet.

All that said, these new Macs are blazing fast! I've never seen a quicker boot time. But if you're drooling over a new iMac or Powerbook (or the upcoming G5 PowerMacs), you'll need to find another bible software program!
    Last edited by randytaylor; 02-08-2006 at 12:28 PM.

Don't give up so easy. I still want to see someone try out Wine. Someone buy me a new mac so I can figure out how to get BibleWorks working on it!
    M.Div Candidate, Beeson Divinity School
    http://www.musterion.net/

i was dissapointed by the news that my new imac won't run virtual pc. i do hear, however, that the new macs will be able to run windows vista. perhaps there is a chance for bibleworks there?

in the meantime...anyone have any recommendations for mac bible software?

Default Accordance

Quote Originally Posted by samuelholder
    i was dissapointed by the news that my new imac won't run virtual pc. i do hear, however, that the new macs will be able to run windows vista. perhaps there is a chance for bibleworks there?

in the meantime...anyone have any recommendations for mac bible software?
    Sure...

Check out http://www.accordancebible.com/
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Default Mac Bible software

Quote Originally Posted by samuelholder
    ...anyone have any recommendations for mac bible software?
    Accordance is the best Bible software out there.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by Columcille
    Don't give up so easy. I still want to see someone try out Wine. Someone buy me a new mac so I can figure out how to get BibleWorks working on it!
    Wine is broken with BW7:

Toolbar doesn't draw.
    Crashes everytime you try to exit the program
    Keyboard layouts aren't read so you can change unicode inputs in the editor.
    IN multi-version mode it crashes when you mouse-over just about any translation.

I'm bummed. With mac switching to Intel - BW really needs to go cross-platform. I keep saying that using QT is the way to go. I'm going to debug another week or so, then I'll probably return my copy.

The real kicker is that codeweavers will be making sure that cross-over office will work on the new macs AND they promised to make any app that developers sent to them for regression-testing to work with their product.

BW - c'mon guys get in touch with codeweavers and take them up on the offer!!!

Default Macs and Bibleworks

Dear All,

For all those thinking of switching to Mac let me give you my recent experience.

I bought a G5 iMac back in December and have been using Bibleworks 6.0 on Virtual PC (XP version) since then. I can honestly say that actual search times etc. are no different that on my Windows machines (though they were somewhat aged and I'm not running anything too complex). Copying and Pasting into a word processor does seem a little slower but I guess that is to do with transitting from VPC to Mac OSX, and also I am using NeoOffice/J which is hardly the rocketship of word processors. Just make sure you turn off all the fancy XP graphics and animations or it'll perform really slow...and don't be tempted to put the Virtual Ram up to high....those in the know say to leave it at about 256.

So far the only disappointment is the "boot up time" for VPC....but it's not really that big a deal, check your emails while it's doing the business! In summary if you are thinking of switching to Mac, don't let any anticipated problems with Bibleworks put you off, (my opinion only of course) but do get a G5 before they're all gone as has been noted VPC doesn't work on Intels.

Maybe our Bibleworks friends can get hold of some "universal binaries" and get us a native Mac version.....go on...please...please, if only so we don;t have to keep spoiling our nice Aqua interfaces with horrible x's -'s and dull flat grey window frames. I might even pay a little extra for it!

Accordance is way expensive and for me in UK is not even close to being in the game.

I have to admit I was worried about how this would all perform, but it has been fine....but it could be better (see above!)

J Paul W

Default G5 Not Needed

BW 6 apparently runs fine under Wine and Darwine just released 0.9.7 with [Edit: Intel only] Mac OSX support. I don't have a Mac (yet), so I don't know how functional Darwine is on OSX, but BW 6 should run on the new Intel Macs if you can get Darwine to run. However, from other posts, it appears BW 7 will not run under Wine and so will not run on an Intel Mac.

[Edit: Running BW under Wine requires fewer computing resources and is faster than VPC. However, I would rather that BW was ported to QT so Mac binaries could be created and then it could be used natively on Intel Macs.]

Quote Originally Posted by JPaulW
    Dear All,

For all those thinking of switching to Mac let me give you my recent experience.

I bought a G5 iMac back in December and have been using Bibleworks 6.0 on Virtual PC (XP version) since then. I can honestly say that actual search times etc. are no different that on my Windows machines (though they were somewhat aged and I'm not running anything too complex). Copying and Pasting into a word processor does seem a little slower but I guess that is to do with transitting from VPC to Mac OSX, and also I am using NeoOffice/J which is hardly the rocketship of word processors. Just make sure you turn off all the fancy XP graphics and animations or it'll perform really slow...and don't be tempted to put the Virtual Ram up to high....those in the know say to leave it at about 256.

So far the only disappointment is the "boot up time" for VPC....but it's not really that big a deal, check your emails while it's doing the business! In summary if you are thinking of switching to Mac, don't let any anticipated problems with Bibleworks put you off, (my opinion only of course) but do get a G5 before they're all gone as has been noted VPC doesn't work on Intels.

Maybe our Bibleworks friends can get hold of some "universal binaries" and get us a native Mac version.....go on...please...please, if only so we don;t have to keep spoiling our nice Aqua interfaces with horrible x's -'s and dull flat grey window frames. I might even pay a little extra for it!

Accordance is way expensive and for me in UK is not even close to being in the game.

I have to admit I was worried about how this would all perform, but it has been fine....but it could be better (see above!)

J Paul W
    Last edited by JAMiller; 02-18-2006 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Clarity