Thread: Qumran Module QSM - Question

Hybrid View

Default Qumran Module QSM - Question

Am I missing something, I can't locate what the "1Q Sb 1:8" for example would correspond to, such as what is the fragment this book is from Psalms, Isaiah etc... or other books.

Is there an info button on that within the module? If not is there a list somewhere on the internet so I know what fragment I'm reading from other then the code they use to identify the fragment.

I know 1Q means Cave 1, but looking for what book its from. Thanks for any help.

Go here to see about abbreviations, e.g. Doesn't yours show up as Rule of the Blessing as your book name? I think you're right it would be nice to have more information on the Qumran manuscripts. However, the BW module is basically just the Hebrew text + morphology. In BW7, you could easily link to a website with more information through the External Links manager (hint, hint for Joe or someone else who's hot on keeping track of these links ). However this obviously would require you to have internet access while working on them. Another option is to save a little info on each Qumran manuscript into a BW note file and that way it would be readily available to you upon using BW regardless of being connected to the internet or not. A great many of the Qumran scripts are self-explanatory, but more detailed descriptions would be awesome and it'd be something a user could do, zip up the text files and share for all. And isn't that what the Qumran community would have wanted after all
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Qumran info

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    Another option is to save a little info on each Qumran manuscript into a BW note file and that way it would be readily available to you upon using BW regardless of being connected to the internet or not.
    That's a great idea, especially if you included the various ways of referring to the mss. e.g.,

1Qsb
    Name: Rule of the Blessing, or Recueil des Benedictions
    Item # 1Q28b
    INV: DAJ 662-64, 1000
    Publ.: Bartelemy, DJD I (1955) pls. XXV-XXIX

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

If you enable the drop-down box above the results window, it shows you every book name in full.

See this thread as well.
    Ben

Ben can you screen grab where your saying? I'm still new to the interface and there are lots of windows.

Thanks for the Help.

I only have v.7 installed on my laptop, but the drop-down boxes look more-or-less the same.

If you search the help section for "browse list boxes" you should find some instructions on activating them. It may be as easy a right-click around the area where they appear in the results window.
    Last edited by Ben Spackman; 04-29-2006 at 07:16 PM.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Spackman
    I only have v.7 installed on my laptop
    Sure, go ahead...rub it in.

When I have all that activated I see only for example "QSM - 1Qsb - 1 - 1" with none of the names of the fragments that your screen grab shows.

Was that a recent addition? I have all the display options on. It would surely help identify the fragments better.