Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: BibleWorks 7.0 External Links Manager

Actually, that is not totally true... One could write a tool that sends windows messages to e-sword that emulates keyboard input.

I have a prototype that works in concept against Pradis (Expositors). Getting access to the controls can be flakey (I suspect timing issues). If I timeout or loop until success it works, but this makes it very slow.

If I ever get it into a usable state, I will make it avaliable to the forum.
    Steve MacKenzie
    Bellevue, WA

Default non-trivial, but not impossible

I have a program that drives the Pradis user interface via windows operating system messages. It is somewhat of a reverse engineering job.

It is not super stable as the success of getting the "handles" to the combo boxes that specify book, chapter and verse is flakey, I think for timing reasons (works well in debugging sessions). I can get it to work if I insert timeouts, but that makes it slow

Also, it is not a generic solution, it would only work with the current version that comes with Expositors. That is because I depend on the resource indentifiers to the controls (combo boxes, etc) contained in the Pradis.exe. If they decide to change those IDs, it would no longer work.

I haven't done windows programming for years, this can probably be done by enumerating child windows and such rather than hardcoding to the resource ids...

Anyway, my point is that it is not impossible... just not supported by Pradis. BTW - If I do get it in a more usable state, I'd be happy to publish it as open source shareware.
    Steve MacKenzie
    Bellevue, WA

Steve,

I'd love to try out your program. I really love the EBC but wish it could somehow be converted to BW's format.
    -- Richard

"Contend earnestly for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 3 (ESV)

If I get my progream more stable, I will publish it, but it is not at that state. I would not want to risk any harm to your system.

They do expose some automation, including database methods. Writing a program that pretends to be a keyboard is one thing, circumventing the program altogether would probably be frowned upon by Pradis, not something that could be published I would think.

If I come up with a reasonable and legal solution, I will make it public.

Cheers
    Steve MacKenzie
    Bellevue, WA

Talking External Link to ebible.com

Here are a couple external links to ebible.com

They, most likely, can be improved. One can also sign up for the site. Members get more access.

Question: How does one pass a UserID and Password through the external link operation?

// External Link #38
    //
    [ebible]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = http://www.ebible.com/bible/<book>%20<chapter>:<verse>
    Parameters = NULL
    MenuLocation = Browse Window All
    TextType = Bible Verse
    MapToVersion = KJV
    Lookup = Verse Reference
    MenuText = Look up verse at ebible.com
    Enabled = 1
    //
    // External Link #39
    //
    [ebible word lookup]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = http://www.ebible.com/ency/WDBSA/<dummy>
    Parameters = NULL
    MenuLocation = Browse Window English
    TextType = Latin Text
    MapToVersion = NULL
    Lookup = Form
    MenuText = ebible word lookup
    Enabled = 1

Talking Gutenberg.org links, need help

Can anyone improve on the search capabilities of the Gutenberg.org search and author search?

// External Link #40
    //
    [Gutenberg Author Lookup]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = http://www.gutenberg.org/author/<dummy>
    Parameters = NULL
    TextType = Latin Text
    MapToVersion = NULL
    Lookup = Form
    MenuText = Gutenberg Lookup by Author
    Enabled = 1
    //
    // External Link #41
    //
    [Gutenberg Search]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/search
    Parameters = NULL
    TextType = Latin Text
    MapToVersion = NULL
    Lookup = Form
    MenuText = Gutenberg Search
    Enabled = 1
    //

Exclamation Using ELM for Calvin's Works

Using ELM for Calvin's Works
    I am having a difficult time setting up ELMs.

Can someone write a step-by-step approach for how to do this?

I have read the other posts and I still can't figure it out.

I can open Calvin's works, but I can't get the actual search to take place. It is a PDF file, does that make a difference?

C:\Program Files\AGES\calvin.pdf

It would be helpful if this information could be put in the online help guide for actual programs on the computer. (All that's there is info on how to open a website and a CHM file).

Here are my ELMs (Luther collection and Calvin collection) if that would help figuring out my problem:

//
    [Logos - Luther]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=Luther
    Parameters = NULL
    TextType = NULL
    MapToVersion = KJV
    Lookup = NULL
    MenuText = Logos - Luther
    Enabled = 1
    //
    // External Link #25
    //
    [Calvin Collection]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = C:\Program Files\AGES\calvin.pdf
    Parameters = NULL
    TextType = NULL
    MapToVersion = NULL
    Lookup = NULL
    MenuText = Calvin Collection
    Enabled = 1

[Maybe just editing these should fix my problem]

Thanks,
    Robert

Default BW7 and Logos

Following up on another post in this forum, I've just posted some stuff that may help those of you who use both BW7 and Logos.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default BW7 linking to CEV, Message, TNIV, etc.

I've been looking for a quick way to check out a few other English translations that are not in BW7. Attached is a view of my External Links editor showing links to BibleGateway.com for quick access to the book/ch/v of some of the translations they have there.
    Personally, I have had trouble editing/saving my ShellExec.txt directly, so I recommend using the Ext.Links editor in BW7. Use my graphic to get the parameters correct.

The only line you will need to paste in is:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=<book>%20<chapter>%3A<verse>&version=72
    (Sometimes extra spaces somehow end up in that line. There should be no spaces.)
    The version #72 at the end of the line is the code for the TNIV. Once you set up your first link, simply use the NEW button and create another and simply the change the version code to add other links.
    E.g.:
    CEV=46
    The Message=65
    You should be able to figure out the other version #s at BibleGateway.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Default More links to GNB=TEV

While I am at it, here's a way to get the Good News Bible (=Today's English Version) at CrossWalk.com. (The following should all be one line, no spaces.)

http://bible1.crosswalk.com/OnlineStudyBible/bible.cgi?word=<book>+<chapter>%3A<verse>&section= 0&version=gnt&new=1&showtools=1&oq=&NavBook=mr&Nav Go=1&NavCurrentChapter=1

Even better, get both the GNB and the CEV (at biblija.net with United Bible Society) in parallel using this line:

http://www.biblija.net/biblija.cgi?Bible=Bible&m=<book>+<chapter>.<verse> &id32=1&id33=1&pos=1&set=3&l=en&idp0=34&idp1=33
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman