Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: BibleWorks 7.0 External Links Manager

Default E-sword in External Link

Hi,
    I can't seem to get E-sword to show up in my External Resources. Attached is a picture of the External Link Manager staging E-sword's codes. Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss something?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by kottman6
    Hi,
    I can't seem to get E-sword to show up in my External Resources. Attached is a picture of the External Link Manager staging E-sword's codes. Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss something?
    Change "Browse Window All" to "Browse Window Other"

Now it works, HOWEVER, it ONLY works if e-Sword is not running. If e-Sword is running, I get the error message "e-Sword is already running".

Anybody know how to fix this?

Red face Fix or feature request for E-Sword?

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos
    . . . it ONLY works if e-Sword is not running. If e-Sword is running, I get the error message "e-Sword is already running". . . . Anybody know how to fix this?
    This is not an error on the part of BibleWorks; it's just the way E-Sword works. Joe Fleener discovered this a while back (see here). Note what Joe states:
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fleener
    Rick did say if e-Sword was open there was no way to navigate to a verse with an external call. You can only open the program to a particular verse.
    So, that means that BibleWorks can only "wake" E-Sword up, but it can't actually talk to it once it is awake!
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack
    This is not an error on the part of BibleWorks; it's just the way E-Sword works...
    Thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll email Rick Meyers and see if he can't change this for the next upgrade.

Thanks Brother Adelphos!

That would be great E-sword mods could be seamlessly integrated into BW.

Default External Link to new Perseus4 LSJ

I've been playing around a bit with the new Perseus4 site. Some things are much better than the old Perseus, some are just different, and the old still has some advantages (like noting "Similar words"). In any case, I think this works as a way to lookup a lemma on the large Liddell-Scott-Jones (ie, the Great Scott!). Other than grabbing the url from this text, I've had better luck editing the link from the tool within BW, so I've also attached a screen shot. I would encourage you to compare the results of the old Perseus lookup with this new one. In particular, clicking on links to references within the definition will bring you to a page with Greek/English/Latin, any of which you can make the focus text. Both Greek and Latin are all analyzed and one click to the dictionaries.

[EDIT: for some reason in the File= line, <dummy> has an extra space that you will have to remove]

[Lookup Lemma Perseus4 LSJ]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text.jsp?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0057:entry=<dumm y>
    Parameters = NULL
    MenuLocation = Browse Window Greek
    TextType = Greek Text
    MapToVersion = NULL
    Lookup = Lemma
    MenuText = Lookup Lemma Perseus4 LSJ
    Enabled = 1

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mark/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by MGVH; 07-24-2007 at 02:13 PM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

There are still a few problems with Perseus accepting these call-ups. It works for many words, but Perseus still wants to accept a circumflex as "=" instead of "^" So I believe that any lemma you look up with a circumflex will give an error.

Second if there are multi-entry lemmas, they sometimes also produce errors. See for instance Phi-Omega-Sigma. Two entries, one with an acute, and one with a circumflex.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    There are still a few problems with Perseus accepting these call-ups. It works for many words, but Perseus still wants to accept a circumflex as "=" instead of "^" So I believe that any lemma you look up with a circumflex will give an error.
    This appears to be a problem not with Perseus but with BW. The Betacode standard for a circumflex is "=" not "^". Cf TLG site http://www.tlg.uci.edu/BetaCode.html. I will send this as a bug to BW.

In the latest beta of Logos, they have changed their perseus look up to the perseus 4.0 site. They are using the morphology lookup tool, which in Perseus 4.0 is normally a popup window. Clicking on one of the Lexicon links will open the appropriate entry on the same page. Hitting the "search" link will open a new tab or window with the list of texts in which the word appears. Hitting the "word frequency" will display the information about word distribution across the corpera.

The appropriate line for BW external links would be: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph.jsp?la=greek&l=<dummy>

God Bless
    Damian

If your wanting to do a perseus morphology lookup for latin, the appropriate link is:
    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph.jsp?l=<dummy>&la=la
    To go straight to the texts which feature the word (and it appears to search automatically on the lemma), the link is:
    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/searchresults.jsp?q=<dummy>&target=la
    To this, if you would like the texts sorted in "document order", you can add:
    &sort=docorder
    otherwise, the texts are sorted automatically according to "relevance."

God bless
    Damian McGrath
    Last edited by frdee; 08-19-2006 at 02:46 PM.

Default Thanks

Very helpful links. Thanks!
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools