Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: BibleWorks 7.0 External Links Manager

How would I create an external link to open Logos to New American Commentary and also to McGee's thru the bible and Wiersebe's Expository outlines?

Note, I have never used this feature before.
    Dr. Kevin Purcell I am a BW9 User!
    Columnist for Christian Computing Magazine
    See my personal blog at www.KevinPurcell.org
    Follow me on Twitter @kapurcell

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Spackman
    Thanks to Jim Darlack's inquiries at the Logos newsgroups, I've made myself some more links. (I *love* this feature )

I can now right click on a verse, left click, and hit enter to search some of my Libronix resources for the verse in question. You can search whatever collections or individual resources you have for either a verse or a word.

This one searchs the Bible Review and Biblical Archaeology Review archives for references to the verse. (You have to use your own collection names, but you can have multiple custom collections.)

// External Link #26

//

[Search BAR/BR for reference]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=BAR and BR
    Parameters = NULL
    MenuLocation = Browse Window All
    TextType = Bible Verse
    MapToVersion = RSV
    Lookup = Verse Reference
    MenuText = Search BAR/BR for reference
    Enabled = 1
    //

This one searches two grammars (Jouon for Hebrew and Greenspahn for Aramaic) that aren't available (yet? Maybe someday?) in BW, for the specific verse I'm on.

// External Link #28
    //
    [Searches Jouon and Greenspahn for reference]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=Grammars
    Parameters = NULL
    TextType = Bible Verse
    MapToVersion = RSV
    Lookup = Verse Reference
    MenuText = Search grammars for reference
    Enabled = 1

And this one searches English translations of primary sources (Dead Sea scrolls, Context of Scripture, Egyptian Lierature I, II, & III, the Amarna Letters and Josephes) for biblical cross-references.

// External Link #27
    //
    [Searches libronix collection for reference. ]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=Primary sources
    Parameters = NULL
    TextType = Bible Verse
    MapToVersion = RSV
    Lookup = Verse Reference
    MenuText = Search Primary sources for references to this verse.
    Enabled = 1
    //

This is a great feature, but the syntax is confusing to me. How should this example above be modified such that I can right click on a word in - say - the KJV and that the corresponding lemma in the ABD is called up? A variant would be that the entire ABD is searched for the occurrence of the right clicked word.

In noticed by the way that when an external link is activated it shows up in the 'right click'menu, but not in the dropdown menu in the top tool/menubar. Is this intentional?

Gert

Quote Originally Posted by kpurcell
    How would I create an external link to open Logos to New American Commentary and also to McGee's thru the bible and Wiersebe's Expository outlines?
    Note, I have never used this feature before.
    And another quote: "Maybe there is still some possibility to make one link to work for all the commentaries"
    First within Libronix you make a "collection" out of these commentary sets (assuming that they are in mulitple volumes; and you must have no spaces in the collection name).
    Then in BW under "Resources" choose "Edit external links".
    Click the "New" button and edit the information to fit your collection.
    For the "BibleWorks provides" box you usually want to choose "Verse Reference" for commentaries. But for those who want to look up words in an external dictionary or lexicon your would want to choose "Lemma".
    You may want to look at some of the examples that have been posted in this link to see how to designate that collection in the box for "Web page, file to open, or executable to run." For Libronix wors the following will work:
    ibronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=
    but you'll have to fill in the end of this string with the name you gave the collection from within Libronix.
    I hope this helps somewhat.
    Mark Eddy

Here's how you use the ABD.

// External Link #28
    //
    [Anchor Bible Dictionary]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = libronixdls:keylink|ref=text. <dummy>|res=LLS:ANCH
    Parameters = NULL
    MenuLocation = Browse Window English
    TextType = Latin Text
    MapToVersion = RSV
    Lookup = Form
    MenuText = Look up word in ABD
    Enabled = 1

Copy that into your ShellExec.txt file in the Bibleworks/init folder, and change the External Link # to whatever is appropriate for your .txt file.

The way this works is that it passes the English word to Logos like an English keylink, set to open in ABD. However, it needs to match the ABD entry fairly closely.

I don't have any of those resources, but I think the easiest way to do this is 1) create a workspace with Wiersbe, a Bible (I'm using NRSV, but I'm not sure it matters), and a commentary open. 2) Link all three within Logos, so that if you scroll the Bible, the commentaries keep up. 4) Set Logos to open to that workspace by default. (Instructions earlier in this thread somewhere.) 5)Use the following script. What it does is pass the Bible reference to Logos, which opens the Bible to that passage, and then the commentaries follow.

The problem I see with doing it anoter way is that if you're passing a Bible reference (instead of a search on Bible reference), it either has to open Logos to a specific 1-book resource, such as a Bible. It can't open a particular series (like a multivolume commentary) to the right place, at least as far as I can tell.

// External Link #2
    //
    [KJV]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|res=LLS:NRS
    Parameters = NULL
    TextType = Bible Verse
    MapToVersion = RSV
    Lookup = Verse Reference
    MenuText = Send verse to Logos Commentaries
    Enabled = 1

Edit: Mark and I posted at the same time. What his thing will do above isn't exactly what you want, at least, that I understand. That string will search the commentary series (or whatever's in the collection) for every place in that collection that has the Bible reference you pass. That will generate multiple hits, but will also get you to the right pasage eventually.
    Last edited by Ben Spackman; 02-16-2006 at 12:05 PM.
    Ben

Default I guess I don't Understand the Links

I have made two links to two Logos collections WBC and NIGTC. This is the script"

// External Link #25
    //
    [Lookup in WBC]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = ibronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book><Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=WBC
    Parameters = NULL
    TextType = Bible Verse
    MapToVersion = RSV
    Lookup = Verse Reference
    MenuText = WBC
    Enabled = 1
    //
    // External Link #26
    //
    [Lookup in NIGTC]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = ibronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in"<Book><Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=NIGTC
    Parameters = NULL
    TextType = Bible Verse
    MapToVersion = RSV
    Lookup = Verse Reference
    MenuText = NIGTC
    Enabled = 1

When executed, say Luke 4: 1 in WBC, Logos opens simple search but does not execute the search. And when you next choose NIGTC, it opens with WBC in the search window and does not search. Am I missing something, is this how it is supposed to work?

That's correct. You can't actually *execute* a search from another program, only call up the search command and set the parameters. So after you do your menu clicks in BW, you hit the "search" key in the Logos search dialogue to run it.
    Ben

Default TNIV external link

Here's a link for those who are missing the TNIV.

I made this link just by experimenting and got it to work

//
    [TNIV]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = http://www.tniv.info/bible/passagesearch.php?passage_request=<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>&submit=Lookup&tniv=yes&display_o ption=columns
    Parameters = NULL NULL
    MenuLocation = Browse Window English
    TextType = Bible Verse
    MapToVersion = KJV
    Lookup = Verse Reference
    MenuText = Lookup TNIV online
    Enabled = 1

I'm not sure if it is correctly made, maybe someone can check it. The only problem I have is that this web page sometimes uses different book abreviations, but most of the time it seems to work.

Smile TNIV external link

Hi Antti
    Can you explain how you insert the code you gave for the TNIV link? I can't see how or where to insert it.
    Thanks
    David McKay
    www.davidmckay.info

Quote Originally Posted by Gontroppo
    Hi Antti
    Can you explain how you insert the code you gave for the TNIV link? I can't see how or where to insert it.
    Thanks
    David McKay
    www.davidmckay.info
    you would insert it into your Shellexec.txt file which is found in the "init" subdirectory of BW.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Question

Thanks Michael.
    Duly inserted.
    Now ... how do I "call up" the TNIV from www.tniv.info, please?

David McKay
    www.davidmckay.info