Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BibleWorks 7.0 External Links Manager

Default Correction to Jewish Encyclopedia

Joe,

In the Jewish Encyclopedia entry there is a space in the < dummy> tag, which invalidates the searches (at least when I tried it). Removing the space seems to work.

Thanks for creating this link.

Glenn

Default New Attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver
    Joe,

In the Jewish Encyclopedia entry there is a space in the < dummy> tag, which invalidates the searches (at least when I tried it). Removing the space seems to work.

Thanks for creating this link.

Glenn
    Hi Glenn,

Thanks for catching that. I am not sure what is going on. When I edit the post, the space is not there, but after the post is saved you can see it!

I will update my attached ShellExec.txt attachment to my first post. It contains all entries.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Thanks to Jim Darlack's inquiries at the Logos newsgroups, I've made myself some more links. (I *love* this feature )

I can now right click on a verse, left click, and hit enter to search some of my Libronix resources for the verse in question. You can search whatever collections or individual resources you have for either a verse or a word.

This one searchs the Bible Review and Biblical Archaeology Review archives for references to the verse. (You have to use your own collection names, but you can have multiple custom collections.)

// External Link #26

//

[Search BAR/BR for reference]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=BAR and BR
    Parameters = NULL
    MenuLocation = Browse Window All
    TextType = Bible Verse
    MapToVersion = RSV
    Lookup = Verse Reference
    MenuText = Search BAR/BR for reference
    Enabled = 1
    //

This one searches two grammars (Jouon for Hebrew and Greenspahn for Aramaic) that aren't available (yet? Maybe someday?) in BW, for the specific verse I'm on.

// External Link #28
    //
    [Searches Jouon and Greenspahn for reference]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=Grammars
    Parameters = NULL
    TextType = Bible Verse
    MapToVersion = RSV
    Lookup = Verse Reference
    MenuText = Search grammars for reference
    Enabled = 1

And this one searches English translations of primary sources (Dead Sea scrolls, Context of Scripture, Egyptian Lierature I, II, & III, the Amarna Letters and Josephes) for biblical cross-references.

// External Link #27
    //
    [Searches libronix collection for reference. ]
    Operation = Open
    Directory = NULL
    File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=Primary sources
    Parameters = NULL
    TextType = Bible Verse
    MapToVersion = RSV
    Lookup = Verse Reference
    MenuText = Search Primary sources for references to this verse.
    Enabled = 1
    //

Ben

Default I never thought of collections!

Ben,

Great. Thanks. I was trying to figure out how to make it search all my journals, I never thought of using the Collection I already had.

This is great!

However, when I created a second link to another collection I have for Church Fathers, every time I click on that link it still opens to search my journal collection.

Do each of your link to different collections all work even if you click on one and then another?
    Joe Fleener

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

They all work successfully on different collections, yes.

It took some messing around, until I realized that I had put <> around the collection name, and those aren't supposed to be there.

In case it's not clear to everyone, the template looks like
    libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=(collection name, with no space, parenthesis, brackets, or anything.)
    Ben

How do you make individual volumes in Libronix into a "collection"? E.g. I have Luther's Works. Many volumes of them are his expositions of Scripture. I would like to make a "collection" out of those volumes and then link BW to them. I can get Libronix to open, but it doesn't open to Luther's works. It seems always to open to the last work I had been reading in Libronix before I closed it.
    I searched BW Help for this information and can't find it. I also have other collections of articles in Libronix, but in my computer each volume is listed as a separate file. Does one of you "collections" include multiple Libronix files/volumes?
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 02-08-2006 at 12:39 AM.

Hi Mark,

Go to tools - Define Collections within Libronix.

You can create a Collection which is a combination of any "books" you have in Libronix and the give it a name.

For this feature to work w/ BW don't put any spaces or other odd characters in the name of your Libronix collection.
    Joe Fleener

I have two different links into Logos that I would really like external links for in BW7. If anyone knows how to do these, I would really appreciate any pointers in the right direction. Both links involve the New International Greek Testament Commentary. The NIGTC is 12 separate books in Logos, so I am guessing that to start with I need to make a named collection of all 12 of those books, which I now know how to do thanks to this forum. Once I have that collection, the two links I would like are:

1) Suppose I am reading Galatians 2:3. I want to link to the commentary on that passage. I want only the NIGTC Galatians commentary to open, and I want it to open directly to the section on Galatians 2:3. Is this possible?

2) Again, suppose I am reading Galatians 2:3. I want to search the NIGTC for any references to Gal 2:3, no matter which of the twelve books the reference is in (i.e. even if Gal 2:3 is referenced from outside the actual Galatians volume). So what I really want for this link is a search results list. Is this possible?

If anyone can help me with either of these links, I would really appreciate it. I assume that the links described above would also work for the WBC or PNTC or any other commentaries if I made additional links and simply changed the resource to the appropriate collection.

Thank you for your help!
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by guilford

1) Suppose I am reading Galatians 2:3. I want to link to the commentary on that passage. I want only the NIGTC Galatians commentary to open, and I want it to open directly to the section on Galatians 2:3. Is this possible?
    The only way I know to do this is to create a seperate link to each of the individual commentaries.

If you did this you would right click on a verse and see links to all 12 books. If you were looking at a verse in Galatians you would click on the link to Galatians.

This does not seem to be ideal, it would make your context menu a bit large! But, I guess that is a personal thing. You could do it.

2) Again, suppose I am reading Galatians 2:3. I want to search the NIGTC for any references to Gal 2:3, no matter which of the twelve books the reference is in (i.e. even if Gal 2:3 is referenced from outside the actual Galatians volume). So what I really want for this link is a search results list. Is this possible?
    This is no problem.

You would put all your NIGTC commentaries into a collection. Name the collection whatever you want, just don't put spaces or other odd characters in the collection name.

Then follow Ben's very helpful example to add a link to your collection:

libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=bible in "<Book> <Chapter>:<Verse>"|collection-name=NIGTC

I assume that the links described above would also work for the WBC or PNTC or any other commentaries if I made additional links and simply changed the resource to the appropriate collection.
    Yes you can follow the above example to create as many links as you would like to any collection you have.
    Joe Fleener

Joe,
    Thank you for your pointers. It sounds like number 2 will be really easy to do, which is great. I was hoping to find a nice way to implement number 1, but it sounds like that might not be possible. I don't think that individual links for each book is really going to be useful to me, especially when I think about doing the WBC (58 volumes!). Still, having number 2 implemented for each commentary set that I have, plus having a link to the Anchor Bible Dictionary will be really nice features when my copy of BW7 arrives. Thank you for your help.
    Brad