Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: BW7 & Integration with other programs...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    612

    Default BW7 & Integration with other programs...

    Using the External Links Manager, users of BW7 can now right-click a verse and automatically call up data for that verse in non-BibleWorks software! Now you can have the speed of BibleWorks integrated with some of the electronic libraries that are now available in other programs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

  2. #2

    Default

    I really love this feature.

    I have a set-up in Logos for looking at the BHs critical apparatus and commentaries. They're all linked to scroll together. With the following link placed in the external link manager, two clicks open all this stuff to the right place. (picture attached)


    libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|res=LLS:NRS

    I created several right-clicks, one to search the OED for an English word, another to search Webster's 1828. (If you want the code, it's pretty easy to work with, and I'll share.)

    What I'd like to do is be able to send a word to Logos and have it open in the Anchor Bible Dictionary. Any thoughts on how to do that?
    Last edited by Ben Spackman; 04-29-2006 at 06:16 PM.
    Ben

  3. #3

    Default

    I figured it out-

    libronixdls:keylink|ref=text.<dummy>|res=LLS:ANCH
    Ben

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    612

    Wink Great idea Ben!

    I've added that to my own links! I'm sure that folks will be excited about this feature. There are quite a few ways to integrate the two programs. If someone is savvy with Java, they could even integrate a small program to do more complicated things (e.g., open up a certain resource in a certain workspace in other programs; perform the search in multiple resources or in a "collection").

    I would like to know if there is a way to keylink off of Greek and Hebrew words. I imagine that there would have to be some kind of conversion into Unicode for it to work. Another possibilty would be to keylink off of Strongs numbers. I've attempted to do so, but something seems to get in the way...
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Hi Jim,

    I just ordered the upgrade, but think it would be great to have these posted somewhere other than these forums.

    This is a very exciting feature as the two programs can be complimentary to each other, especially for those that have moved to a more digital library.

    There is a feature in Logos to "copy a location" under the bookmark section in the menu. Make sure you have PowerTools Addin installed.

    Anyway, keep up the work and consider posting it to one of the BW user websites.

    John Fidel

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    612

    Talking Integration...

    Quote Originally Posted by jfidel
    ...I...think it would be great to have these posted somewhere other than these forums.
    I'll start a new thread in the general discussion area titled "Integration" in the meantime. Once BW7 is distributed, I'm sure folks will come up with new ideas for integrating the two programs. I'll ask the BW staff about proper decorum when speaking about integration with "competing software."
    Quote Originally Posted by jfidel
    This is a very exciting feature as the two programs can be complimentary to each other, especially for those that have moved to a more digital library.
    Yes, I agree. Really I think that the two programs are complimentary. No one in a PC platform can outperform BibleWorks in speed and complexity of searches. I don't know how to write a paper, prepare a lesson or preach a sermon without it! At the same time, digital libraries are helpful. It certainly keeps the desk less cluttered! I've even used the External Links of the BW7 beta to jump between BW and other software while I was in the midst of taking class notes!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfidel
    There is a feature in Logos to "copy a location" under the bookmark section in the menu. Make sure you have PowerTools Addin installed.
    Yes. That's the ticket to figuring out how to make the links. It's also helpful to read the article on "Weblinking."
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11

    Default How About Integration with Pradis?

    Has anyone tried to establish external links to Pradis' NIDOTTE and NIDNTT?

    Thanks,

    Mike

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    612

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by xara777
    Has anyone tried to establish external links to Pradis' NIDOTTE and NIDNTT?
    I don't see any documentation within Pradis on how to access the program from an external link. Perhaps you could shoot an email to the Zondervan techies to see if its possible.

    This should open up some interesting issues for the biblical software "industry." Some companies see themselves in mortal competition with others, while others see themselves as potentially complementary. If companies take a highly competative stance (and refuse to support compatability with other programs) it will ultimately hurt the end user who has purchased several non-compatable software packages! Competition is good. It spurs on innovation, but it can also stifle useability.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack
    I don't see any documentation within Pradis on how to access the program from an external link. Perhaps you could shoot an email to the Zondervan techies to see if its possible.

    This should open up some interesting issues for the biblical software "industry." Some companies see themselves in mortal competition with others, while others see themselves as potentially complementary. If companies take a highly competative stance (and refuse to support compatability with other programs) it will ultimately hurt the end user who has purchased several non-compatable software packages! Competition is good. It spurs on innovation, but it can also stifle useability.
    Very well put, Jim. I wholeheartedly agree. BTW, could you tell us a bit more about how this link manager works? It reminds me of the old OLE technology that used to be available in some programs many moons ago

    Thanks!

    Rubn Gmez

  10. #10

    Default Ole & Dde

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruben Gomez
    Very well put, Jim. I wholeheartedly agree. BTW, could you tell us a bit more about how this link manager works? It reminds me of the old OLE technology that used to be available in some programs many moons ago

    Thanks!

    Rubn Gmez
    Yes it works via both OLE and DDE. Here is the section from the new online help:


    BibleWorks has rudimentary DDE capabilities. They allow you to fetch BibleWorks verse data and status information from other applications via DDE links. The available commands are shown below. Each command has a sample showing how it is used in a Word for Windows macro.

    BibleWorks can also function as a simple OLE Server. This permits you to control BibleWorks from any application that supports OLE Automation, including Word, Excel, Internet Explorer. Using JavaScript you can control BibleWorks from an HTML file. The commands at the present time are basic and mirror the DDE functionality in most respects. The examples below show both DDE and JavaScript (OLE) versions of the commands.

    --------------------

    I also could not agree w/ Jim more on compatability between programs.
    Joe Fleener

    jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

    Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

    User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks



    Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •