Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BW 7- The teaser

Default Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to see.

Thank you Joe,

I'm just getting started in this part of my studies, and I've spent quit a bit of time setting up the ability to do this. So this means I can use this tool to do the job and cut the time needed to do it as well. Great Improvement indeed. Helps moving from Hebrew to English and back. At my age that's a real thing too.

Jim T.

Default What about passage divisions?

I know in previous threads the concept of whether or not passage divisions would be included in version 7.0 was brought up. Will these be included in the new update?

Default Passage divisions in Browse Window

If by "passage divisions" you mean things like poetic formatting, the answer is negative at this point. I haven't heard any discussion of implementing this feature, but you never know. It's often the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

Default Key Word in Context Tool

Could someone please explain a little bit about the new feature that allows users to build KWIC and collocation tables? How does it work, what does it look like, what are its advantages over other types of searches, etc. Some screenshots would also be useful, since the intro video does not really show much.

Thanks,

Rubén Gómez

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben Gomez
    Could someone please explain a little bit about the new feature that allows users to build KWIC and collocation tables? How does it work, what does it look like, what are its advantages over other types of searches, etc. Some screenshots would also be useful, since the intro video does not really show much.

Thanks,

Rubén Gómez
    From the BibleWorks help the KWIC module is described thus:

A Key Word in Context (KWIC) Concordance is a listing of all the words that occur in a version shown with their immediate context. The KWIC module in BibleWorks enables you to build KWIC lists for any word or series of words in any Bible version. You can specify how many words either side of the specified words will be shown. The word itself will be shown in red and any surrounding words that had to cross a verse boundary to meet the specified context limits will be shown in gray. A collocation table is a listing of all the words in the immediate context of the key word listed by frequency and distance from the key word. Together the KWIC list and the collocation table provide very useful tools for studying the grammatical and topical context of words.

It's a quick and powerful way to look up a specific word and have an analysis of what words occur before and after the given word (as well as many words before and many words after). It's a powerful little feature that can do much more than simply searching for a word would have done from the command line because now you're ready to do statistical analysis on the fly whereas you would have had to weed through all of those words on your own before KWIC.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Michael,

Thank you. It seems to me that you can currently configure version 6 so that hits appear in context, so I am still unsure what's new about this. That's why I was asking for a screenshot. Looking at the syntax and the display would probably clear up things... Maybe I'm just tired and can't see something obvious.

Rubén Gómez

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben Gomez
    Michael,

Thank you. It seems to me that you can currently configure version 6 so that hits appear in context, so I am still unsure what's new about this. That's why I was asking for a screenshot. Looking at the syntax and the display would probably clear up things... Maybe I'm just tired and can't see something obvious.

Rubén Gómez
    If you email me I can send you some screen shots. Attachments are too bulky on the forums. You can show version 6 to SHOW context. You cannot use version six to ANALYZE context. Furthermore KWIC shows words through VERSE BREAKS which the command line searching would not have done. Third, "A collocation table is a listing of all the words in the immediate context of the key word listed by frequency and distance from the key word."

Do you see how all of those are new features that would not be able to be done by the command line contexting?
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Synopsis: Able to Print in BW 7?

A quick question for our beta-testers: Might we be able to print from the synopsis feature in BW7? Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Default BW doesn't print columns

Hi, Joseph,

If you mean will it print in columns, the answer is no. You can always paste the material into a table in a word processor.