Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BW 7- The teaser

Unhappy The Aramaic Bible is awfully expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by tfjern
    Well, then, are you saying, Mike, there's no hope we might see English translations of the Targums (e.g., T&T Clarks' The Aramaic Bible) in BW7 before the end of this year?
    I don't know if anyone will ever have the T&T Clark/Liturgical Press Aramaic Bible any time soon in an electronic format! The volumes cost over $50 each! I can't imagine the electronic version licensing for much less. Perhaps Mike Bushell and the other folks at BW can work some magic, however!

That being said, are there any Aramaic scholars who would like to start a fresh translation? You would have the undying love and affection of your fellow BibleWorks users if you took on this project!
    Last edited by jdarlack; 01-25-2006 at 08:55 AM.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default The full list of what's new

Check out the bibleworks.com website. Here's the full list of new things. See if you can say them all in one breath

http://www.bibleworks.com/content/new.html
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Aramaic Dictionary

Regarding the English translations of the Aramaic Bible, I think a much more valuable, yet far less expensive, option is to simply include Jastrow. I dont even think it is under copyright, and if it is, it is very inexpensive. I am not really sure how responsible it would be to simply use a translation without a dictionary in any case. (I hear echoes of my former preacher who used to say The Hebrew/Greek says this without being able to read the text well...). As far as I know, there are only a few schools that even teach enough Aramaic (e.g. at least 2 or more years) for a student to even be able to read the text well, and simply having the Aramaic text without a dictionary may not be the most helpful thing.

Red face Jastrow...

Quote Originally Posted by jakemccarty
    Regarding the English translations of the Aramaic Bible, I think a much more valuable, yet far less expensive, option is to simply include Jastrow...
    I agree with you about Jastrow. I imagine that while the copyright would not be a problem, the scanning would be quite an expensive accomplishment. I was under the impression that the new Hendrickson edition would be newly typeset (which gave me hope that it would be available digitally soon). Alas, the new edition is merely a plate for plate reproduction (and enlargement) of the old Jastrow (Available in PDF Vol. 1 א-כ ; Vol. 2 ל-ת).

Default Upgrading and unlock modules

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    Check out the bibleworks.com website. Here's the full list of new things. See if you can say them all in one breath

http://www.bibleworks.com/content/new.html
    Does anynbody know: When we upgrade to ver 7, will need to pay again for unlocked modules we already own?

Nick

Talking No!

Quote Originally Posted by nalsop
    Does anynbody know: When we upgrade to ver 7, will need to pay again for unlocked modules we already own?

Nick
    Nope, no need to worry. If you've purchased a module in the past, you will not need to upgrade the module or repay for it. You will only have to pay for the program upgrade and any NEW modules that you are after!

Default It gets better

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack
    Nope, no need to worry. If you've purchased a module in the past, you will not need to upgrade the module or repay for it. You will only have to pay for the program upgrade and any NEW modules that you are after!
    Not only do you not have to pay for the modules again if you purchased them w/ say 5.0, but you will get the latest version of the modules you already own when you install the program.

For example the verse reference links from HALOT and BDAG have been greatly improved since they were released w/ 5.0 and even with the version for 6.0.

If you own those modules and upgrade to 7.0 you will get the 7.0 version of those modules without having to pay for them again!
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Default Website is up

7.0 is now featured on the new BibleWorks website.

Check it all out!

www.bibleworks.com
    Joe Fleener

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

Default Unicode (UTF-8)

I'm using this Unicode fonts at present, for Hebrew Studies and having it in BW7 would sure make sense to me. I could do a lookup and copy directly to my e-mail program with out having to go to my "Unicorn Text Editor" first. Sure would save a bunch of time. I placed my order today. Looking forward to new things to play with.

I know I saw a discussion on here somewhere about that, I hope that was the decission.

Jim Tifft
    San Antonio, Texas
    Last edited by James H. Tifft; 01-26-2006 at 02:33 AM.

Default It's in there

Quote Originally Posted by James H. Tifft
    I'm using this Unicode fonts at present, for Hebrew Studies and having it in BW7 would sure make sense to me. I could do a lookup and copy directly to my e-mail program with out having to go to my "Unicorn Text Editor" first. Sure would save a bunch of time. I placed my order today. Looking forward to new things to play with.

I know I saw a discussion on here somewhere about that, I hope that was the decission.

Jim Tifft
    San Antonio, Texas
    Oh yes, you will like 7.0 for this. All the font conversion will be done for you.

Keep in mind, BibleWorks itself will still be using BW fonts (i.e. what you will see in the Browse Window, etc.). However, the editor is fully compatible with Unicode and you can easily set a couple of options to export all fonts to Unicode when you copy text from BibleWorks to other applications.
    Joe Fleener