Thread: Protected Fonts?? HELP!

Angry Protected Fonts?? HELP!

Last year I wrote a PowerPoint 2003 presentation for a conference. I had about 35 slides in the presentation. I am preparing my SBL paper for Philadelphia and wanted to re-use several of those slides from last year's presentation. But whenever I open ANY copy of last year's presentation it says READ ONLY because of embedded read only fonts. I cannot do anything. I can't copy, edit, delete, block and paste. The only fonts in it that could be the culprit are BWHeb which I cut and pasted into about 3 of the 35 slides. Everything else is just microsoft fonts that come with Office 2003. Could it be Bibleworks? How do I get around this? I really need to use about 4-5 of the slides, none of which have any fonts in them...just photos. I am, at wits' end.
    Michael Dick
    Professor of Hebrew Bible
    Siena College
    Loudonville, NY 12211
    DICK@SIENA.EDU

Can you SAVE AS using a different file name? This might free it up.

Default Another possibility

If the "save as" doesn't work, and if you only want the pictures, you can always do a screen capture. (ALT + PrintScreen)
    That saves a copy of the current screen, so be sure to first maximize the area you want to view/save as large as possible.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default may help

Quote Originally Posted by MBD
    Last year I wrote a PowerPoint 2003 presentation for a conference. I had about 35 slides in the presentation. I am preparing my SBL paper for Philadelphia and wanted to re-use several of those slides from last year's presentation. But whenever I open ANY copy of last year's presentation it says READ ONLY because of embedded read only fonts. I cannot do anything. I can't copy, edit, delete, block and paste. The only fonts in it that could be the culprit are BWHeb which I cut and pasted into about 3 of the 35 slides. Everything else is just microsoft fonts that come with Office 2003. Could it be Bibleworks? How do I get around this? I really need to use about 4-5 of the slides, none of which have any fonts in them...just photos. I am, at wits' end.
    Michael Dick
    Professor of Hebrew Bible
    Siena College
    Loudonville, NY 12211
    DICK@SIENA.EDU
    this may help http://www.indezine.com/notes/archiv...5_archive.html
    From what I have been reading on various websites they say that you should be able to open it in PPT2002 and edit out the fonts and then save again, then use PPT2003 to do the modification again. It seems to be a common problem that stemps from updating to SP1 in PPT2003
    type in google what error the programs returns and you will see lots of info on it
    Here is MS' solution to the problem http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;827405
    Last edited by Christopher S Wiley; 08-17-2005 at 11:13 AM. Reason: adding more info

Two really quick thoughts:

I think Powerpoint has a setting in Options that allows you to embed fonts. You might want to check and try it both with and without using Save As... to see if that works.

Another quick alternative would be to try and make a pdf file of each of the pesky slides, then to cut and paste them back into PP.

This isn't easy. I ran across a similar problem when using the font BibliaLS (a font Logos uses) . I like the look of the font, but it was such an annoying problem to every save or cut and paste, that I replaced it.

A final thought: did you try and open the original file, replace all the Hebrew fonts with another font (there are bunches of them) or maybe use a Font with unicode support (like EzraSIL) and resave?

Hi Michael-

All BW fonts are marked as embeddable. None are marked as read-only. Do you have Bwhebb installed on the machine where you are trying to edit your presentation?

Michael