Thread: Open source translations for BW by BW users?

Exclamation Open source translations for BW by BW users?

I've been thinking... Uh oh!

Many folks who use BibleWorks are itching to stretch their academic muscle and work on their Greek and Hebrew (and other languages as well). I have a proposal that can help scratch that itch and stretch that muscle!

The BibleWorks community could begin putting together "open source" translations (or even morphologically tagged verisons) of various editions of Greek and Hebrew texts. The BibleWorks forums could serve as a means of enhancing each other's work through open discussion. These translations could be made available to the BibleWorks community and perhaps incorporated into the program in the future.

Peter Kirby, the web master of both "Early Jewish Writings" and "Early Christian Writings" has been editing the "Open Scrolls Project" using a similar principle to translate the Dead Sea Scrolls and make the translations available on the web to all users. It may be a good idea to follow a similar example.

For instance, a possible project to take on would be to produce a fresh translation of works such as the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Greek OT Pseudepigrapha, the Targumim, the Apocryphal Gospels, etc. These translations could even be "rich" with commentary and notes (for instance a format similar to the NET Bible's notes could explain translation decisions and provide cross references to relevant biblical and extra-biblical ancient texts).

If you are interested in helping with something like this, please reply to the this thread with any comments and/or ideas. We could begin perhaps by putting together a list of potential works, along with setting priorities.

Think about it! You could be working on an exegesis paper that uses a particular ancient document, where you've studied the text and produced your own translation... You may not be able to publish that it in a journal, but you could use your work to help other BibleWorks users...

Or...perhaps you are looking for an "independent study" class to pursue in seminary to sharpen your language skills. Tackle the text, translate and annotate...produce a morphology and turn it into a BibleWorks version, while getting credit for a seminary class.
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

I'm interested in this, but I don't have any time for at least a month. I have comp. exams in December.
    Ben

Default great plan!

It's a great plan.
    since it's associated with Bibleworks, It could be done here, but if it would fall outside of the prefered usage of these forums (for whatever reason.) I will donate the space on my website (which is getting an overhaul right now).
    Lot's of possibilities for input/delivery methods:
    Wiki, Forums, Blog, etc...

Default Interested in this one

I like the idea. I would give it a go...probably focusing on the paragraph I'm preaching from that week...if I'm in an exegetical series. My next one starts in the end of January...most likely on Revelation.

I think the key for this to work is for several people to interact together as a group. It could also be used to possibly draw others into the BW community.

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack
    I've been thinking... Uh oh!

Many folks who use BibleWorks are itching to stretch their academic muscle and work on their Greek and Hebrew (and other languages as well). I have a proposal that can help scratch that itch and stretch that muscle!

The BibleWorks community could begin putting together "open source" translations (or even morphologically tagged verisons) of various editions of Greek and Hebrew texts. The BibleWorks forums could serve as a means of enhancing each other's work through open discussion. These translations could be made available to the BibleWorks community and perhaps incorporated into the program in the future.

Peter Kirby, the web master of both "Early Jewish Writings" and "Early Christian Writings" has been editing the "Open Scrolls Project" using a similar principle to translate the Dead Sea Scrolls and make the translations available on the web to all users. It may be a good idea to follow a similar example.

For instance, a possible project to take on would be to produce a fresh translation of works such as the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Greek OT Pseudepigrapha, the Targumim, the Apocryphal Gospels, etc. These translations could even be "rich" with commentary and notes (for instance a format similar to the NET Bible's notes could explain translation decisions and provide cross references to relevant biblical and extra-biblical ancient texts).

If you are interested in helping with something like this, please reply to the this thread with any comments and/or ideas. We could begin perhaps by putting together a list of potential works, along with setting priorities.

Think about it! You could be working on an exegesis paper that uses a particular ancient document, where you've studied the text and produced your own translation... You may not be able to publish that it in a journal, but you could use your work to help other BibleWorks users...

Or...perhaps you are looking for an "independent study" class to pursue in seminary to sharpen your language skills. Tackle the text, translate and annotate...produce a morphology and turn it into a BibleWorks version, while getting credit for a seminary class.