Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Bible?

Default Chinese Bible?

What is the possibility of having Chinese Bible version(s) included in BibleWorks? Has Unicode matured enough to allow Chinese inclusion? That would open BibleWorks to one fifth of the world's population who use Chinese. Thanks.

John Chan

Default Chinese Bible

Hi John,

I saw your post about a Chinese Bible in Bibleworks.

If you have an immediate need, you might want to check out E-Sword at www.e-sword.net. They have the Chinese Union Version in both traditional and simplified versions, and the program and Bibles are free!

I use both Bibleworks and E-sword regularly. They both have their strengths and weeknesses and complement each other nicely.

In Christ Jesus,
    Brad P
    daddy to Maelee (3, Anhui province) and Lilli (2, Jiangsu province)

Quote Originally Posted by jhkchan
    What is the possibility of having Chinese Bible version(s) included in BibleWorks? Has Unicode matured enough to allow Chinese inclusion? That would open BibleWorks to one fifth of the world's population who use Chinese. Thanks.

John Chan
    Do you mean that? (Pls see the attached jpeg)
    You can do that by using the command-- "tools/version database compiler", even you can create your own version of bible!(especially if you are good at Greek and Hebrew )!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by shiukl; 11-05-2005 at 07:53 PM.

Default Chinese Bible

Hi Shiukl,

How did you do that? Where did you get the cuv source for conversion?

Thanks,

- LY

Quote Originally Posted by lyoung
    Hi Shiukl,

How did you do that? Where did you get the cuv source for conversion?

Thanks,

- LY
    It is not that hard. BW6 User Manual Section 8.1 "Compiling Version Databases" describes the 3-step procedure.

There are many sites which offer free download of bibles-including the CUV. Try this one for a starter: http://www.o-bible.com/

You can download the CUV (both traditional and simplified chinese characters are available). Once you have downloaded the .txt file, make sure the format is in accordance with the requirements. If necessary, use Word or Wordpad to do any editing.

When you create the DDF file, there is no "Chinese" for you to choose under the Language tab. But, "Other" should do the job.
    Last edited by shalommatt; 11-22-2005 at 08:33 AM.

Default upload please

Hi, I just wonder, can you upload or send me the link where I can download the Chinese Bible Text File.

I downloaded the text file from o-bible before, but it seems I need to do lots of editing in order to make it transfer to Biblework. So if anyone of you can upload the edited text file to us, that would be wonderful.

Pls Advice, thanks.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by fadetheway
    Hi, I just wonder, can you upload or send me the link where I can download the Chinese Bible Text File.

I downloaded the text file from o-bible before, but it seems I need to do lots of editing in order to make it transfer to Biblework. So if anyone of you can upload the edited text file to us, that would be wonderful.

Pls Advice, thanks.

Sam
    If this translation is in the public domain, you can send the cuv.txt and cuv.ddf files to Jim Darlack to put on the list of user databases (sticky thread near the top of the threads). Then people wouldn't all have to go through the work of independently "editing" this to become BW compatible. I might even be interested in looking at it, since I have a daughter who has studied Mandarin. I'm assuming this is a Mandarin version.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 03-01-2006 at 12:53 PM.

I have downloaded the CUV (Big5-traditional characters) from o-bible.com and have converted the format so that now it fits for the Version Database Complier. I have tested and it works for my BW6.
    The .txt file size of 1.05MB (zipped) exceeds the limit (244KB) of an attachment so I cannot upload it here. Since I dont have personal webspace, I have contacted Jim Darlack to see if he likes to put it in his webspace with a link at the first post of this thread.

(Chinese characters are either traditional characters (used mainly in Taiwan) or simplified characters (used mainly in the Mainland). The difference is in the writing. Mandarin (or Potunghua) is the official dialect (both in the Mainland and in Taiwan) and it differs from other dialects like Cantonese (Guangdonghua) and the difference is in the pronounciation of each characters.)
    Last edited by shalommatt; 03-01-2006 at 02:38 AM.

I have downloaded the CUV (GB-simplified characters) from o-bible.com and have converted the format so that now it fits for the Version Database Complier (I saved it as unicode text format). But I have no idea how to create the Verse Maps. I can't understand the help file well enough to make it. If anyone has a copy of the CUV Verse Maps, would you please send a copy to my email:... I will be very appreciated it!!

God bless,
    Zech
    Last edited by zech; 06-11-2010 at 01:18 PM.

I now have the CUV file in Unicode, but I am having a few problems making an appropriate cuv.ddf file in order to compile it in BibleWorks. I have never tried to compile a version from a Unicode file before. But when I change the CUV file to plain text, all that appears are ?????. So, if anyone has gotten this version to compile, please send your cuv.ddf file (I believe it should be small enough to attach, if you turn it into a .txt file).
    I have also prepared a cuv.vmf file which anyone with the CUV version properly compiled may use. I may need to work on it further, if the blank verses that I found in the CUV Unicode file are intentional.
    In Christ,
    Mark Eddy