Thread: User Document Repository

Hybrid View

Default User Document Repository

[Reposting as separate thread - related to "Master List of BW Add-ons" thread]

This is a great idea!

What do people think about moving this to some type of document repository? That way users can upload files themselves instead of having to constantly update this thread (which will quickly turn into a maintenance nightmare). In addition, some type of folder structure can be used to organize the different types of documents and allow people to easily find what they are looking for. I was thinking something along the lines of this:

http://www.taylorsRus.com/phpATM/

This is just a simple little example I set up in 10 minutes using a free PHP script for a document repository. It's too bad that vBulletin (the software running this forum) doesn't have the capability to do this - it would be ideal to be integrated into these forums. But I'm sure there's a better PHP document repository script out there that includes comments and other features like that.

In terms of hosting, I can see 3 main options:
    1. Hosted at Bibleworks.com. This would be by far the ideal solution, but would require BW staff and space and bandwidth etc. What do you guys think? It would be awesome to have this as an official BW repository and the BW site has the most visibility and bandwidth and likelikhood for people to participate. BW is already known as a great software product with great staff support - how cool to extend that to include an officially supported collaboration repository for users to share files...
    2. If BW doesn't go for that, a bunch of us could register a site like www.bwusers.com or something like that. I know of some cheap hosting services that wouldn't be too bad if a few of us went in together and we could set up a bunch of admins so that many of us can monitor it and make sure its working correctly. I'd have no problem setting this up.
    3. Some individual could host it. I wouldn't necessarily mind doing this, but it just doesn't seem like the ideal solution to rely on a single person and makes it much less likely to get involvement of BW users and broad visibility. But if the other options don't get support, this could be an option.

I think this has a lot of potential to grow into an amazing resource to share versions, searches, diagrams, color files, etc. - really allowing us as BW users to collaborate as we study God's Word.

Thoughts?

-pt

Hi Paul!

That's a nice setup that you have provided!

Regarding BW hosting a user uploads site, we're not ready to do that at this point -- the manpower resources, bandwidth costs, and copyright enforcement issues are all factors. We do, however, encourage users as individuals or as a group to feel free to put together a self-managed repository.

Michael

Michael -

OK. I understand. If this gets off the ground, would it be possible to add a link on the BW site?

Given that, who would be interested in being part of a group effort to centralize BibleWorks users files? To register a domain for 5 years and buy 5 years worth of hosting (1 GB) would cost around $250. If we get at least 5 people involved, it becomes reasonable at only a $50 contribution per person. Each person would be setup as an administrator on the site and we can all help maintain it.

For now, respond to this post if you're interested. If there's enough interest, we can move forward sometime in the next few weeks (maybe in May after finals). You can also get in touch with me directly at paul@taylorsRus.com.

Thanks...

pt

Quote Originally Posted by chiefplt
    Michael -

OK. I understand. If this gets off the ground, would it be possible to add a link on the BW site?
    Hi Paul-

We certainly would be willing to link to something like that. In fact, you can see one such link here:
    http://www.bibleworks.com/support.html

Michael

Default Count me in!

I would love to help out with such a repository!

~Jim
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default Count me in as well!

I would love to help.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Default Me too

I'm certainly interested, though i don't know anything about web maintanance or administration.

I remember reading this last week or so and i think it was in my subconscience when i created the "ASE Sharing" thread.