Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jesus' words in red text

Default Jesus' words in red text

I don't think I own a single Bible that doesn't have Jesus' words in red print, except my BibleWorks. I asked them about it and was told to either go through and highlight all His words in red, or ask here if anyone had already done that.

Sooooo, I'm asking.

Thanks,

rog

Lightbulb rouge man?

Hi Roger.
    I don't understand why you want the words of Jesus in red. Are they more important than the words of others in the Scriptures?

Also, how do you determine whether it was Jesus speaking or others writing in passages like John 3?

When the ESV was published, Australian distributors got a special edition shipped here which did NOT include the words of Jesus in red.

To each his own, I spose!

David McKay
    www.davidmckay.info

Oh, I don't know. Why do you suppose there are millions and millions published with Jesus' words in red? I guess I just thought someone much smarter than I thought it was a good idea, or served some purpose, or they wouldn't be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerman
    Oh, I don't know. Why do you suppose there are millions and millions published with Jesus' words in red? I guess I just thought someone much smarter than I thought it was a good idea, or served some purpose, or they wouldn't be out there.
    Same reason there are millions and millions of Celine Dion CDs published -- people don't know any better.

A synoptic comparison underlines the difficulty of identifying words as coming from Jesus rather than the Gospel author. The consistency with which words in any one Gospel are redacted in line with the Gospel author’s themes strongly suggests the Gospel author’s involvement in the words attributed to Jesus. Sometimes it is argued that the words may have been spoken on more than one occasion. However, when it comes to the Last Supper, this claim is difficult to maintain. In my opinion, this makes any “red letter” edition with such supposed distinctions dubious.

Default Jesus words in red, pink, and gray

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerman
    I don't think I own a single Bible that doesn't have Jesus' words in red print, except my BibleWorks.
    Maybe we could get the sure words in red, those about which there is some doubt in pink, and those that are doubtful in gray? Just joking, although it's been done.

Actually, I wouldn't like seeing that; I really don't like the idea of a canon within the canon that such a distinction implies.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Surely if Christ's words in red is what the customer wants, then the option ought to be made available.

There are plenty of Bibles already produced in this format - this suggests to me that there must be a number of bible translators/scolars who support the practice.

Just because some of us don't want it, should we deny others the opportunity?

After all, I don't want the TNIV, but I bet its going to be in the next revision.

And I also seem to remember someone (ages ago) asking for the Message to be available in BW - I'd be forced to switch to Esword if that happened!!

We are all different, and so often our likes & dislikes can be a real puzzle to others
    Last edited by Kevin Ahronson; 09-16-2005 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Typo

Default Well Put

Kevin, very well put. Thank you.

Hopefully you've been on the forums to read enough to know what's going on. There is always a difference between customer needs and wants and what a business can do and should do to make its product better. Let's say for the sake of argument that it takes 40 man hours to make a version highlight in red Jesus' words. Surely that can be done. Granted. However that means you're taking 40 man hours away from something else (the guys at BW aren't sitting around doing nothing!). Now since BW folks are actively working on version 7 and new features etc for that, would you want them to stop working on new features which greatly enhance BibleWorks? As for me and my house, I don't strongly care one way or the other about the red letters, it won't greatly effect my salvation either way. However, is the next future BW customer going to purchase BibleWorks because it has a new Septuagint Lexicon or because it has Jesus' words in Red? Frankly, I don't think the red letters is a strong selling point or a good feature. Let users highlight the text on their own and you guys can share it for FREE! No one is stopping you and in fact BibleWorks encourages users to do such activities. Plus if this is most important to you, look there is a way for it to happen, no one is stopping you and you don't even have to purchase anything new.

As far as Bible versions go, I think BW does an admirable job of acquiring the rights to these, but you must keep in mind that some copyrights are easier to get a hold of than others and the more versions BibleWorks has, the likelier it is for costs to go up to help pay for those copyrights....
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

BibleWorks is a very good tool / piece of software / resource, or whatever you want to call it. I develop software in a variety of different formats, so I fully understand the demands put on developers. There is always a priority list, and a compromise must be made somewhere.

With that said, like myself, there are many developers "out there" in the world and who may have hi-lighted all of Jesus's words within BibleWorks. I don't think it's too much to ask the "community".

I think, for the most part, BibleWorks has done a great job by allowing end users to add personal features like the above. This was a great idea for us and reduced the load on them.

As a community of end users, it would help us all if we allowed the developers time to focus on "the next big thing", and we share ways of getting the most out of the current version.
    -----------------------------------------------
    On another note--I don't know about you, but $300 is not cheap (maybe relatively speaking). But with the amount of end users vs. the cost of each product, there's got to be some profit--maybe enough to hire some more developers. I'm not asking BibleWorks to justify their cost, or itemize their overhead, but using the excuse that there are only 2 people writing the code isn't a good reason to deny end users from feature requests.

For a software product to succeed, the software development cycle requires continual improvement--otherwise someone else will develop to satisfy the markets needs. BibleWorks wants those requests.

At any rate, I think they have done a super job with what resources they have. The ability to search text, build customized queries, and modify/add to the program is what makes this tool worth it. I also have PC BibleSoft, e-Sword, and evaluated the Logos software. I like BibleWorks the most.

Happy BibleWorking!!!

In Christ.