Typing Hebrew in the Search w/ Vista and BW8
I am new to Bibleworks, 8.0 is the first version I have tried. So far I have been unsuccessful at typing Hebrew (and to some extent Greek) in the Search command line. For Hebrew I am trying to use the Israeli Keyboard. In the BW editor the Keyboard works as expected, but in the Search window the characters appear as accented Latin characters.
I have tried searches by typing a period and then typing the equivalent keystrokes for the word I want to search on and every search fails and often BW crashes and has to be restarted. I have even tried simply copying text from the Hebrew bible in BW and pasting the text into the search window and although I do get some Hebrew characters, they are the wrong Hebrew characters and often have a lot of garbage characters mixed in. When I copy unpointed text typed into the editor window and paste it into the search window, I get vowel pointings (that were not in the text) without any of the original Hebrew letters (that were in the text)? Example אהבה when pasted into the search command line becomes a segol and a sheva, but all of the Hebrew letters themselves are lost.
I have tried setting the language option to manual and auto select; in auto the correct langauge is indicated on the vista status bar (bottom right part of the Screen) when the search text is set for Hebrew.
Obviously there are a lot of bugs still yet to be fixed, but I am wondering if anyone has a work around for the time being?
Forcing WTT didn't make a difference
The Search version always shows WTT, and when I have the language set to automatic it chooses Hebrew (as indicated by Vista) when the WTT version is selected as the search version. I did try forcing WTT as you suggested, but it didn't make a difference. After the . was entered I still get the accented/tildied latin characters.
One other interesting note. When using the graphical keyboard to enter the Hebrew characters. The first letter after the space follows the key definition displayed on the keyboard (using the mouse to click the key), but the subsequent characters use the Israeli keyboard definition (as set in my language preferences rather that the pictured letters. For example, the first click on a 'hey' produces a 'hey', but the next time a 'hey' is clicked I get a 'yod' (like an Israeli keyboard would produce). The key definitions remain Israeli until I get to another space.
That seems to have worked!
Initially that didn't seem to work, but after typing the mem I got a mem sophit. And then when I cleared out the text and typed again everything worked!!!
When it did start working, I did notice that the . moved from the '/' key to the '.' key (where it is on an English Keyboard. I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to type a Tsadi sophit, but realized that the normal Tsadi was automatically a sophit when it was on the end of the word. Other than the sophit letters everyting seems to work as expected (and now I can type!)