PDA

View Full Version : New To BibleWorks

mhl6493
08-18-2005, 11:47 PM
I just purchased BibleWorks 6.0 online yesterday and am looking forward to receiving it soon. I'm also considering evaluating a couple of other programs to see which one best meets my needs. I appreciate the fact that BW has the 90-day money back guarantee. I've just about reached the conclusion that you can't really know which software program meets your needs until you actually USE it a while. So thanks, BW, for making that offer!

Anyway, I'm a little bit intimidated by the thought of learning about BW, because I've heard from others that it has a pretty high learning curve. Anything that involves over 4 hours of video and a 400 page manual can't be a piece of cake to learn to use. But I'm looking forward to trying... ya'll keep me in your prayers! :-)

Mark

Ben Spackman
08-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Mark- Don't be intimidated. BW includes the manual and videos because they're consumer friendly. By comparison, the OTHER Bible/library program has no manual and very few movies, and a steep learning curve. Just my experience...

Joe Fleener
08-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Mark,

Don't be too intimidated. You can install the program and get a good handle on all the basic functions within a few hours.

It will then be a matter of knowing what you need to do with a program like BW and then learning the specific tools/features that will get you there.

The manual is fantastic. Its length is a testimony to its quality and helpfulness. Use it. It will be a real benefit to you.

Where are you located? You may want to check out the training page on BibleWorks' website to see if there are any training workshops in your area.

Joe

mhl6493
08-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks, Ben and Joe, for the encouragment. I appreciate it.

I live in south Alabama, so it looks like Atlanta would be the closest training workshop. That's not too far, and it would probably be worth my while to go.

Thanks again!

Mark

alan1979
08-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Mhl,

Regarding choosing between a software amongs many, let me say as someone who uses Bibleworks and Libronix, they serve two different purposes. Libronix is great as a library, it has many sources exclusively like commentary sets such as Word Biblical, New International Greek Testament, Pillars, etc... although they do cost extra. They also are building every day on their language tools.

Bibleworks is great for just flat out bible study, searching the word for all that its worth. Its fast, easy and has every bible version that one would concievably desire. The note function is also good and if you are well versed in greek/hebrew, well there is even that much more you can do then.

In the end, I would suggest getting Bibleworks if you want to just flat out disect the Bible, and download Libronix freely from the their website and purchase resources if you choose to. That way you can have the best of both worlds.

alan

pastorsteve
08-19-2005, 04:59 PM
BibleWorks does have a steep learning curve, especially for things like the ASE. But the instructional videos and the fact that you can set BibleWorks 6 to Beginner, Standard, or Power User mode really help make that learning curve a lot more gentle.

brian
08-20-2005, 12:04 AM
nobody ever mentions gramcord

http://www.gramcord.org/

price is pretty good :)

mhl6493
08-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks again to everyone for your replies and encouragement. BW arrived this past Monday, and I've been working through the manual and videos ever since. They are VERY helpful, and I can already tell I'm going to love learning more about and using this software -- though it will probably be a LONG time before I even begin to THINK about using the Advanced Search Engine!

Alan, your suggetion about how Logos/Libronix can supplement BW is a good one. I think that's the approach I'm going to take, just purchasing the particular modules that I want.

It's also refreshing to know that if I get stuck, I've got a helpful BW Staff and a great online community to help me out!

God bless!

Mark

arggem
08-26-2005, 12:29 PM
though it will probably be a LONG time before I even begin to THINK about using the Advanced Search Engine!Mark, you might be surprised!!

As you learn to do searches on the command line, it's easy to send that search to the ASE. There are different ways to do it, just type in the command line search (DO NOT press "enter"), then click on Search in the menu bar, then click "Advanced Search Engine."

That will "translate" the command line search into the ASE. This allows you to start getting used to it, while not having to actually work in it. It's then a small step to actually using it!

Enjoy BW!!! and don't be afraid of the ASE!