PDA

View Full Version : Protected Fonts?? HELP!

MBD
08-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Last year I wrote a PowerPoint 2003 presentation for a conference. I had about 35 slides in the presentation. I am preparing my SBL paper for Philadelphia and wanted to re-use several of those slides from last year's presentation. But whenever I open ANY copy of last year's presentation it says READ ONLY because of embedded read only fonts. I cannot do anything. I can't copy, edit, delete, block and paste. The only fonts in it that could be the culprit are BWHeb which I cut and pasted into about 3 of the 35 slides. Everything else is just microsoft fonts that come with Office 2003. Could it be Bibleworks? How do I get around this? I really need to use about 4-5 of the slides, none of which have any fonts in them...just photos. I am, at wits' end.
Michael Dick
Professor of Hebrew Bible
Siena College
Loudonville, NY 12211
DICK@SIENA.EDU

arggem
08-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Can you SAVE AS using a different file name? This might free it up.

MGVH
08-16-2005, 10:22 AM
If the "save as" doesn't work, and if you only want the pictures, you can always do a screen capture. (ALT + PrintScreen)
That saves a copy of the current screen, so be sure to first maximize the area you want to view/save as large as possible.

Christopher S Wiley
08-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Last year I wrote a PowerPoint 2003 presentation for a conference. I had about 35 slides in the presentation. I am preparing my SBL paper for Philadelphia and wanted to re-use several of those slides from last year's presentation. But whenever I open ANY copy of last year's presentation it says READ ONLY because of embedded read only fonts. I cannot do anything. I can't copy, edit, delete, block and paste. The only fonts in it that could be the culprit are BWHeb which I cut and pasted into about 3 of the 35 slides. Everything else is just microsoft fonts that come with Office 2003. Could it be Bibleworks? How do I get around this? I really need to use about 4-5 of the slides, none of which have any fonts in them...just photos. I am, at wits' end.
Michael Dick
Professor of Hebrew Bible
Siena College
Loudonville, NY 12211
DICK@SIENA.EDU
this may help http://www.indezine.com/notes/archive/2004_09_05_archive.html
From what I have been reading on various websites they say that you should be able to open it in PPT2002 and edit out the fonts and then save again, then use PPT2003 to do the modification again. It seems to be a common problem that stemps from updating to SP1 in PPT2003
type in google what error the programs returns and you will see lots of info on it
Here is MS' solution to the problem http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827405

Trajan
08-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Two really quick thoughts:

I think Powerpoint has a setting in Options that allows you to embed fonts. You might want to check and try it both with and without using Save As... to see if that works.

Another quick alternative would be to try and make a pdf file of each of the pesky slides, then to cut and paste them back into PP.

This isn't easy. I ran across a similar problem when using the font BibliaLS (a font Logos uses) . I like the look of the font, but it was such an annoying problem to every save or cut and paste, that I replaced it.

A final thought: did you try and open the original file, replace all the Hebrew fonts with another font (there are bunches of them) or maybe use a Font with unicode support (like EzraSIL) and resave?

Leabeater
11-13-2005, 04:11 PM
http://www.zhubert.com/betacode

MTan
11-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi Michael-

All BW fonts are marked as embeddable. None are marked as read-only. Do you have Bwhebb installed on the machine where you are trying to edit your presentation?

Michael