PDA

View Full Version : Participle Query

Richard Henley
08-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi all,

I have a question.

Background:
The outcome of a recent discussion with a group of friends, left me tasked (since I’m the only one with BibleWorks) with a project to see if I could use BibleWorks to identify (in the Greek text) where the author of Matthew ended sentences (as the text is currently structured) with a participle.

I know BibleWorks is a powerful search tool, but I don't know if such a query is possible, and I certainly don’t have the skills to set up a query to perform this task.

The Question:
Can BibleWorks do this, and if it is possible, would someone be interested in showing me how it could be done? This would be done with the current version of BibleWorks 6.

Thanks.

Ruben Gomez
08-12-2005, 05:58 AM
...The outcome of a recent discussion with a group of friends, left me tasked (since I’m the only one with BibleWorks) with a project to see if I could use BibleWorks to identify (in the Greek text) where the author of Matthew ended sentences (as the text is currently structured) with a participle.

I know BibleWorks is a powerful search tool, but I don't know if such a query is possible, and I certainly don’t have the skills to set up a query to perform this task.

Hi Richard,

It can be done, and if you look at the attached query it should get you started. Remember that when you are using the ASE you can include punctuation marks as part of your query.

Best,

Rubén Gómez

Richard Henley
08-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Rubén,

Amazing. When the file was double-clicked, it automatically brought up BibleWorks and produced the answer. I’m impressed. I’m more than impressed.

Having a working file to study may help me begin to understand how it works.

Thanks Rubén,

Richard Henley