PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on Hyphenation

MortenJensen
08-01-2005, 01:55 AM
Hi all

I have earlier posted a question on how to deal with the BWGRKL font and hyphenation in Word (2002). The regular - sign is changed to a circumflex if a Greek word is hyphenated (see the picture below).

In practice this means that I have to turn off hyphenation for the entire document in order to avoid this important error.

My simple question is: What do you do about this problem? How do you hyphenate texts with Greek words?

I take it is the same in an English version of Word, I am using a Danish version.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to bypass this issue, one way or the other.

Thank you very much!

Morten

http://www.hoerningjensen.dk/div/bw.jpg

Michael Hanel
08-01-2005, 12:50 PM
If you type shift-7 or the & symbol that should get you your hyphen. Inside BibleWorks go to Tools: Font Maps. If you go to Greek you see what letters will come out from the normal keyboard map. When you press and hold the shift key you see the second layer of the keyboard and that's where the hyphen is hiding out at. the key which normally is designated for the hyphen is used for the circumflex+rough breathing accent as you saw.

MortenJensen
08-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately that does not work well. You do get a hyphen mark, but the circumflex is still there since word does not recognize it as a hyphen mark.
Another problem, you would have to format all your text manually, and if you change just one thing, it all goes down the drain...

So what to do, I mean, someone else must experience this problem.

Is it possible to bypass word's hyphenation in single cases?

I really don't get why the BW font is not updated to work properly with word.

Thanks
Morten

Michael Hanel
08-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately that does not work well. You do get a hyphen mark, but the circumflex is still there since word does not recognize it as a hyphen mark.

Hmm either I can't reduplicate your error or I am understanding you incorrectly. If I use the bwgrkl font to type iou& i can do that with the bwgrkl front typing in "iou&" If you're looking at "iou-" and want to get rid of the circumflex because you've typed in "iou-" you would move your cursor immediately after the upsilon, press the right arrow key once to what Word thinks is the next character (in this case the accent) and then press backspace to delete the accent and type in "&" to get the hyphen there. If you have done this and it still hasn't worked I don't understand the problem or else your Danish version of Word is doing something different, maybe perhaps an auto-correction problem....

A long term (hopefully) solution is in the works for the next version of BW which will use a Unicode based font. That hopefully will help make some of these font issues work a little bit better, because I definitely admit that depending on what sources you use for Greek text, it certainly is a pain to use Greek in Word documents because of the differences between fonts.

MGVH
08-01-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't think this is an unusual problem with any of the TrueType fonts since the keyboard mapping of the characters goes all over the place.
It is not an issue with Unicode Greek where a hyphen is a hyphen regardless.
So, you can convert everything to Unicode Greek (cf. http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946&highlight=macro+unicode or http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2174&postcount=12 )
OR
wait until BW 7 comes out!

MortenJensen
08-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Hi - thanks to both of you

First about the manual typing of hyphen signs. It should be understood this way that I do not want to hyphenate manually. Word should do the trick. Cause, if you type in hyphen signs manually, you have a problem as soon as the text moves the slightest bit.

Then about the unicode macro, yes, that is probably the best thing to do. I've used it before but skipped doing so because the font, paletino, I believe, was pretty ugly to my mind. Do you know of a unicode font that has just as nice type face as either bwgrkl or ionic, athenian or other of the most used fonts?

Finally, do you know if it is possible to tell word not to hyphenate specific words? I haven't been able to find such a feature. That would also be helpful. I could then mark out all the Greek passages and remove the automatic hyphenation for this part.

Thanks

Morten

Michael Hanel
08-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi - thanks to both of you

First about the manual typing of hyphen signs. It should be understood this way that I do not want to hyphenate manually. Word should do the trick. Cause, if you type in hyphen signs manually, you have a problem as soon as the text moves the slightest bit.

Thanks

Morten

Bingo, automatic hyphenating, that was the part that I didn't understand from your initial email. That's something I've no experience with. sorry :(

MGVH
08-02-2005, 09:53 AM
As for Unicode Greek fonts, I use Cardo mostly because it is clear, shows up well on PowerPoints, and includes a Hebrew character set.
For more on Unicode, cf: http://www.gettysburgsem.org/mhoffman/greek/fonts.htm

And to look at Greek font samples, go to:
http://www.russellcottrell.com/greek/fonts.htm

MortenJensen
08-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Hi again

Thank you very much for these links. I have downloaded a number of the fonts and some of them are at least as beatiful as the bw-font. So I will go for this solution.
About the macro: I can only get the last one (the oldest macro) to work. What I do is that I create a macro first, then I go to visual basic, find the macro in newmacroes, delete the macro and inserts the text of the wanted macro instead. Then the macro names are listed in the 'play macro' list (alt + f8). However, none of the macroes in the 'new macro' (the first link, the one with the speed up technology) seem to work.

What do I do wrong? How do you install it?
Also? Don't you just run the speed up program? I does not need to be in the BW-library?

Finally, are there any errors known with these macros? What are the verdict?

Thanks a lot!
Morten

MortenJensen
08-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Hi again

I solved the problem with the new macro. It runs alright now. And it is incredibly fast.
However, I am unable to substitute the Arial Unicode font with my preferred font, New Athne Unicode. Also, it changes the font size to 10. I have posted these questions in the original threat.

Just one other question, if I want to distribute a file, is Paletino then the only font that at present is standard in win xp (that is, the only unicode font that has the entire Greek character set mapped out)?

Morten