PDA

View Full Version : Bibleworks 7

gcalton
07-31-2005, 09:49 AM
I was wondering if there are any thoughts as to adding the Oxford Latin Dictionary?

Michael Hanel
07-31-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm obviously not BibleWorks so my word isn't necessarily worth much, but I doubt the OLD would be added any time soon. If it were added it would obviously be an add-on module in the same vein as BDAG and HALOT because BW would not be able to swallow the copyright licensing for that. It really isn't a necessity in BibleWorks yet since the lexicons while useful only become truly valuable because of the texts that have lemmas sorted out and what not. No one to my knowledge has yet gone through the Vulgate to make morphology codes for it like there are for the Greek or Hebrew texts. OLD has never been available electronically except I see Logos is making it available sometime in the future (it's on their preproductions for around 150$). Otherwise Oxford UP website has sales about twice a year where I'm told OLD in print can be had for around $120 which is quite a steal considering its retail is double that.

Meanwhile, I think we can be fairly certain the the Liddell and Scott lexicon which is based on the Middle or Intermediate version will be upgraded to the Great Scott edition in the new BW. Of course we all wait to hear...if there are things you greatly desire get all of your friends to email the BW people for Ideas

Charlie
08-11-2005, 02:48 PM
No OLD, but you can quickly access info at Perseus if you have an Internet connection. Right click on any word in the Vulgate and choose the Perseus option at the bottom of the context menu (BW6 only). It's pretty cool.

csbalogh
08-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Look here for one that you can use even to morphologically analyse and translate the Vulgate or any other Latin text.

http://users.erols.com/whitaker/words.htm

It is a nice program the essence of which would also look great if implemented in BW by the developer guys. It would not need a morphologically analysed Latin text (a similar form analyser is also available [exclusively online] for Greek on the Perseus website).

csb