PDA

View Full Version : Using the Morphology Assistant

Andrew
07-30-2005, 10:31 PM
I am having problems using the Morphology Assistant. I have tried copying and pasting numerous lemmas from the BGT and also tried typing in the lemma from the Greek keyboard. The search version specified in the MA is the BGM and the message I always get is that the following word or form can't be found in the current search version. Any help would be appreciated.

Michael Hanel
07-30-2005, 11:54 PM
Hey can you give us an example of things you were typing in looking for?

Andrew
07-31-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks, Michael. I seem to have discovered the problem. When I included the accents over letters I got the unwanted message. Without them, it's working fine. Is that normal? I haven't seen anything in the Helps to say I shouldn't use accents.

Michael Hanel
07-31-2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks, Michael. I seem to have discovered the problem. When I included the accents over letters I got the unwanted message. Without them, it's working fine. Is that normal? I haven't seen anything in the Helps to say I shouldn't use accents.

Well I must say I dont very often search using the accents, but I don't think there are any glitches with the searching function for them. The trick perhaps is that if you look along the very bottom edge of BibleWorks window you see a string of blackened or greyed words "BGM Limits Strong's Browse AutoInfo", etc.? If you double click on the one marked Accents that turns on or off. One can also toggle this feature by right clicking within the command line, clicking or unclicking Accent Sensitive Searching.

Andrew
08-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Certainly for me there's no need to search with the accents. I just didn't know any better. I've looked into the features you talked about and I am now have a better understanding of several things in the program. Thanks again.

As others have commented, I don't find BW particularly user-friendly, but hopefully it gets easier as one spends more time with it.

Michael Hanel
08-01-2005, 03:06 PM
User-friendly is certainly in the eyes of the beholder. I remember there was a short debate about whether different functions were intuitive or not, but what is one person's intuitive is another's stupid. Anyway, BW is rather unique for having different setup configurations which BW users intended can grow into, from basic to the power-user mode. Second, one should keep in mind that BW is able to do a lot of stuff and no one will have mastered all of its bells and whistles immediately, it takes time to figure out tricks and hanging out on the BW forums you'll likely learn a lot from other users. Third, you're always more than welcome to email the BW staff (or on the forums to other users with the implication that emailing the staff can perhaps get the program changed while talking to users will only help you learn how other users work the program) both ideas for new features or questions/feedback on how it would be better put together for the users' benefit. They design this stuff in ways they think will be beneficial to users but ultimately if you don't give them your feedback they won't know what an avg. user really needs/wants in functions and functionality.