PDA

View Full Version : BW6 and Other??

DJE
07-26-2005, 07:37 PM
Hello,

I just wish to know how many of you are using BW6 with another bible software package (w/commentaries etc).

Peace,
David

Ben Spackman
07-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Hi. My name's Ben (all together: "Hi Ben"), and I'm... a Logos user. It started with just one commentary, but then I couldn't stop... :D

I also use (with much less regularity than BW and Logos) Esword, and some old FolioViews databases.

Joe Fleener
07-26-2005, 08:22 PM
I use BW exclusively for my original language exegetial work.

I do have several Logos/Libronix items which I reference for secdary sources. However, not very frequently.

The most frequest Libronix module I reference is the Journal Library and SESB.

Michael Hanel
07-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Mostly I use real books as my other source, not Logos. I've found that if I get books on Logos I tend not to use them vs. if I have the real live thing in front of me. Also I'm helped out by the fact that I can run across campus to the Seminary library and voila!

David Kummerow
07-26-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm now using Logos' SESB in conjunction with BW, since with SESB allows much more complex searching than BW, namely phrase- and clause-level searching. My hope is that this level of searching will be introduced in BW.

Anyway, you can read my posted review:

http://www.logos.com/press/reviews/hiphil06-2005

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Harold6
07-26-2005, 08:49 PM
I am a long-time Logos user, however, since I purchased BW6 a few months ago, I use it for primary exegetical study first, then I used Logos for secondary work. I enjoy the way these two fine programs complement each other

Harold

Dan Phillips
07-26-2005, 09:03 PM
I use E-Sword (http://www.e-sword.net/). It's really a terrific piece of freeware, well-integrated, multi-featured, far easier to use than BW. I think I first got it for the original Webster's dictionary. But it also has free modules for the HCSB (which BW still doesn't have!), the ESV, Keil and Delitzsch, Gill, JFB, and just a ton of other things. You can add Spurgeon, church fathers; it's really a terrific program.

vr8ce
07-26-2005, 11:06 PM
I use E-Sword (http://www.e-sword.net/). It's really a terrific piece of freeware, well-integrated, multi-featured, far easier to use than BW. I think I first got it for the original Webster's dictionary. But it also has free modules for the HCSB (which BW still doesn't have!), the ESV, Keil and Delitzsch, Gill, JFB, and just a ton of other things. You can add Spurgeon, church fathers; it's really a terrific program.
E-Sword is an excellent project, especially since it's free (or mostly free). However, just to prove "one man's meat...", I had it on my PC for an hour and got rid of it. I think the UI is... horrendous. I find the command-line in BW is simply brilliant, and makes (most of) BW extremely easy to use.

It is this that makes programmers pull their hair out. :)

Vince

DJE
07-26-2005, 11:54 PM
I wish to thank everyone that posted. As you might have guessed, I am looking for other software options. I did download e-sword (since it is FREE) and after first use, I think its just OK. I am impressed with SESB from what I have read. Yet $$$. I'll save my coins! By the way, how is the support for SESB?

Yeah, BW6 is my main database and I do enjoy it for my studies!

God Bless,
David

Mark Langley
07-27-2005, 12:03 PM
I use BW and have several electronic versions of commentaries.

song_robin
06-29-2006, 02:51 PM
To anyone who is interested:

I have just uploaded 12 new Bibles to the Master List which includes all of e-Sword's "missing" Bibles as well (e.g. Good News Bible, etc.)

Check it out at:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648

Blessings,

Robin

Bennett B. Wethered
06-29-2006, 03:47 PM
I have been a user of BW since 3.5 (now with 7), and it is the only software I use for Hebrew and Greek. While I have a few different Logos products (not their Hebrew & Greek, though), the only commentary I have that uses their platform is Calvin's Commentaries. I have E-Sword downloaded (I also sent in a donation, as "the laborer is worthy of his wages," Luke 10.7), and usually only turn to it for the various commentaries it offers (supplements to more recent book versions I own). Seeing the various comments verse-by-verse, and comparing them, is quite helpful.