PDA

View Full Version : articular vs anarthrous

rbvanhorn2
07-14-2005, 11:09 AM
I have been looking at the ASE videso to try and configure a search in the NT without success. I'm looking for a search for theos without ho theos. I don't care about any morphological considerations. Does anyone know how to do this? Much appreciated.

Adelphos
07-14-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm looking for a search for theos without ho theos.

Here is the query you want.

Adelphos
07-14-2005, 08:53 PM
If you grabbed the earlier file, I've replaced it. I had typed theo* which finds other occurrences of the prefix THEO, such as "haters of god," etc.

I simply replaced the asterisk with an "s" and this keeps you on track.

Simply download the same file and it will have the change.

Further, if you want to add more functionality, you can copy the bottom two boxes - EDIT|COPY and then EDIT|PASTE the two boxes. Move them over to the side, then insert another little box like the one with the 0 in it. Change the 0 to a 1, and then connect the two boxes you copied to the SUBquery.

Now this will find THEOS without the article immediately preceding and also without the article one word removed preceding.

You can, of course, restructure it further to suit your needs.

Adelphos
07-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Actually, I've constructed the second query already, so I might as well post it. This is the one that finds THEOS without the article immediately preceding and one word removed as well.

Here it is.

Adelphos
07-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Well, now I've gotten myself confused. In the second query I posted, anar_theos_2, it finds Matthew 12:28. And that's a problem...

The first portion of the sentence is correct, i.e., en pneumati Qeou is a proper find. However, in the second portion of the verse, I get basileia tou Qeou with basileia and Qeou highlighted, whereas the intervening article is not highlighted.

I ORed the subquery and the main query, but that highlights everything, as well as pulling up wrong verse also, which I thought it would anyway.

I also putzed around with word ordering in the first query by "between 0 and 1" and so forth, but I still get the same results.

What gives?

Ruben Gomez
07-15-2005, 04:24 AM
Well, now I've gotten myself confused. In the second query I posted, anar_theos_2, it finds Matthew 12:28. And that's a problem...

The first portion of the sentence is correct, i.e., en pneumati Qeou is a proper find. However, in the second portion of the verse, I get basileia tou Qeou with basileia and Qeou highlighted, whereas the intervening article is not highlighted.

I ORed the subquery and the main query, but that highlights everything, as well as pulling up wrong verse also, which I thought it would anyway.

I also putzed around with word ordering in the first query by "between 0 and 1" and so forth, but I still get the same results.

What gives?

Hi Scott,

ASE is returning and highlighting the verses that meet your search criteria. Notice that the second part of the subquery (to the right), states "any word, except the article, that appears within one word of Qeoj." But since you have not indicated that the intervening word cannot be the article, the program rightly returns Mt 12:28, since basileia is indeed one word removed from Qeou. Since you want to avoid the Greek article, you need to use another word box between them (with exactly 0 in the Ordering and Proximity options), and filter out any articles. I think this will get what you're after.

Best,

Rubén Gómez

Adelphos
07-15-2005, 04:37 AM
Qeoj." But since you have not indicated that the intervening word cannot be the article, the program rightly returns Mt 12:28, since basileia is indeed one word removed from Qeou. Since you want to avoid the Greek article, you need to use another word box between them (with exactly 0 in the Ordering and Proximity options), and filter out any articles. I think this will get what you're after.[/font]

Thanks, Reuben, however...

I think I got up too early for this. It's still 2 1/2 hours before MacDonalds opens here.

In any case, I don't understand what you mean by the "second part of the subquery" nor the "any word, except..." and so forth.

How 'bout you just taking the query and fixing it, and then uploading it here. :confused:

That way I'll see what you're talking about. Either that, or re-explain it, please. I think you are correct in discerning what I am after, but I can't see how to implement your instructions.

Ruben Gomez
07-15-2005, 04:54 AM
Thanks, Reuben, however...

I think I got up too early for this. It's still 2 1/2 hours before MacDonalds opens here.

In any case, I don't understand what you mean by the "second part of the subquery" nor the "any word, except..." and so forth.

Okay, sorry, by "second part" I meant the second pair of ordered word boxes, reading from left to right. The "any word, except..." bit was a description, in natural language, of the search syntax you used. I was hoping you would follow me... sorry for the confusion.

How 'bout you just taking the query and fixing it, and then uploading it here. :confused:

That way I'll see what you're talking about. Either that, or re-explain it, please. I think you are correct in discerning what I am after, but I can't see how to implement your instructions.

Well, I didn't want you to miss the pleasure of redoing the ASE query yourself ;) , but since you asked... I'm attaching a revised version of your anar_theos_2.qf. Let me know if you need any further explanation, and I'll try to make myself clearer this time.

Best.

Rubén Gómez

Adelphos
07-15-2005, 06:03 AM
Well, I didn't want you to miss the pleasure of redoing the ASE query yourself ;) , but since you asked... I'm attaching a revised version of your anar_theos_2.qf. Let me know if you need any further explanation, and I'll try to make myself clearer this time.

Thanks a bunch, Reuben. I never knew how to do that. Most of my searches are simple enough for the CL. In fact, I've really only used the ASE to construct queries to display the differences in Bible versions, and those queries are pretty simple.

This is great Thanks again.

MTan
07-15-2005, 09:50 AM
This thread has gone off-topic and has been split. The remainder of the thread is in the non-BibleWorks forum.