07-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Homeric Vocabulary for BibleWorks
Ver. 0.3
Compiled by Michael Hanel

Zip file contains:

readme.txt : this file
homervocab.vrt : file needed to be imported into BibleWorks Vocab module

Quick instructions

1. After unzipping, move the file homervocab.vrt into your Bibleworks subdirectory called "init"
2. Open BibleWorks and under the Tools menu select Vocabulary Flashcard Module.
3. Once the module opens select Import under the File menu and selected "homervocab.vrt" This step will import the file so that you can use it like any other vocabulary module in BibleWorks.

Notice:

This is only a preliminary release. It contains all verbs in the Homeric corpus that are used 10 times or more. The final release will include all words except for proper nouns that are used 10 times or more a list that includes about 1800 vocabulary items. The list is based on Owen and Goodspeed's list in Homeric Vocabularies which in turn is based on Gehring's Index Homericus. As this is only a preliminary release, please email me if you notice any typos or would like definitions changed/added/edited at ekim11[at]hotmail.com (ekim11@hotmail.com). Words are divided into "chapters" which signify the number of times each word is used. The first chapter denotes words used more than 500 times. The remaining 5 chapters denote more than 200, 100, 50, 25, and 10 times respectively. Therefore any word that is used 25 times means that its exact count is between 25 and 49 times. Sound files will not work with the vocabulary and I don't really intend to fix that, but someone surely may if they so choose. Two more updates should follow this release. The first will contain nouns, the second will finish with adjectives, pronouns, adverbs and other particles.

Michael Hanel
07-26-2005, 05:13 PM
A new update of Homeric Vocab module is ready. This file will replace your previous module. Overwrite the old files with this which now includes verbs and nouns, over 1100 words! The final part, about 700 words (adverbs, adjectives, etc.) will take a bit longer.
==

Homeric Vocabulary for BibleWorks
Ver. 0.6
Compiled by Michael Hanel
Zip file contains:

readme.txt : this file
homervocab.vrt : file needed to be imported into BibleWorks Vocab module

Quick instructions

1. After unzipping, move the file homervocab.vrt into your Bibleworks subdirectory called "init"
2. Open BibleWorks and under the Tools menu select Vocabulary Flashcard Module.
3. Once the module opens select Import under the File menu and selected "homervocab.vrt" This step will import the file so that you can use it like any other vocabulary module in BibleWorks.

Notice:

This is only a preliminary release. It contains all verbs and nouns in the Homeric corpus that are used 10 times or more (more than 1100 words). The final release will include all words except for proper nouns that are used 10 times or more-- a list that includes about 1800 vocabulary items. The list is based on Owen and Goodspeed's list in Homeric Vocabularies which in turn is based on Gehring's Index Homericus. As this is only a preliminary release, please email me if you notice any typos or would like definitions changed/added/edited at ekim11[at]hotmail.com (ekim11@hotmail.com). Words are divided into "chapters" which signify the number of times each word is used. The first chapter denotes words used more than 500 times. The remaining 5 chapters denote more than 200, 100, 50, 25, and 10 times respectively. Therefore any word that is used 25 times means that its exact count is between 25 and 49 times. Sound files will not work with the vocabulary and I don't really intend to fix that, but someone surely may if they so choose. One more update should follow this release. This update will finish the vocabulary module with adjectives, pronouns, adverbs and other particles.

Joe Fleener
07-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Great Michael.

Thanks for all the work.

Gilbert Salinas
07-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Great Michael.

Thanks for all the work.

Ditto!!!

Gilbert

Michael Hanel
07-27-2005, 02:37 PM
It's no problem. I only look forward to the introduction of unicode to BibleWorks, that would certainly make the addition of more classical Greek material a whole lot easier. I still would like to add Homeric Hymns to the Homer-Hesiod database that I created earlier, but I havent been able to find a source for those. Also as the online Critical Pseudepigrapha site proofs more text (http://www.uwo.ca/kings/ocp/index.html) that would also be a good one to add. Anyway, my wish list is always growing and fortunately there are public domain texts out there that users can get their hands on.

Michael Hanel
10-10-2005, 12:51 AM
At long last the final release of the Homeric Vocabulary module. 1800+ words all for your enjoyment :)