PDA

View Full Version : Steps in Expository Preaching

scottjonofrio@avcompserv.
06-24-2005, 04:28 PM
I am a BW lastest version customer. I would like some direction on a book that would help me in expositing a bible text. Something that I could use with BW in one hand and a guide in another to dig deeper.

I suppose what I am asking is could you suggest a good basic book that would help me in the steps of preparing a sermon. That would lead me through technical steps of exegeting a passage.

BOOKS or your OWN PROCESS YOU USE

Remove the dashes if you reply directly with me email listed.
scottjonofrio-@-avcompserv.com

graham
06-24-2005, 05:43 PM
I have used Bryan Chapell's book "Christ-Centered Preaching". While it can be a little formulaic at times I've found it to be a great resource. plus they've just updated it too. (not sure what the difference is though, I have the old version).

Joe Fleener
06-24-2005, 11:33 PM
I have found:

New Testament Exegesis: A Handbook for Students and Pastors - Gordon Fee

very helpful.

I have not used its companion:

Old Testament Exegesis: A Handbook for Students and Pastors - Douglas Stuart

but I assume it would be as good.

What I have used for OT exegesis is:

The Art of Preaching Old Testament Narrative - Steven Mathewson

-----------------------------------------------------------

Have fun! The process of exegeting God's Word is life-changing!

NeroDog
06-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Walter Kaiser Jr.'s Toward an Exegetical Theology.

This book exactly addresses your need.

ND

ugotdave
06-29-2005, 03:41 PM
I second NeroDog's suggestion, Kaiser, in my opinion, is a leading scholar in his field. I have read his work and highly recommend him for subjects like that of biblical interpretation.

Oh, the joy of properly interpreting God's Word!!!

This is, at its core, the most important job we as Christians have in todays “Do what thou wilt” sermon society. Our biblical sermons, not all of them though, have been rendered down to feel good, ear tickling, my own opinion, teachings. Exempting the importance of good sound biblical hermeneutics.

As Charles Surgeon called those men, “weather cocks”, blown by the wind!!

Many Blessings Scott

jdarlack
06-30-2005, 12:50 PM
...on my seminary (Gordon-Conwell (http://www.gordonconwell.edu))! Walt Kaiser is our president & Doug Stuart one of our OT profs! (Gordon Fee used to be a prof here, years ago--and his legacy continues!) Matthewson graduated from GCTS with a DMin--his book is actually an edited version of his DMin thesis! Boy, it's a blessing to study and work here. Haddon Robinson is a long-standing member of our faculty as well!

PS: In response to Joe Fleener's post--Stuart's book is INVALUABLE for cracking the Old Testament for preaching. It helps the student ask the right questions when looking at the text, and his anotated bibliography is worth the price of the book!

guitarrev
09-11-2005, 12:40 AM
I have read and used Fee's book, but I would also encourage you to look at Haddon Robinson's book Biblical Preaching. It has some good suggestions. Have fun digging into God's Word.:cool:

Dave

Joshua Luna
09-11-2005, 01:57 AM
Another vote for Kaiser's Toward an Exegetical Theology! Kaiser is one of my favorite authors and this is one of his very best books in my opinion. Like others noted, this book answers the questions you have. For working with the Hebrew Bible I have found Robert Chisholm's From Exegesis to Exposition: A Practical Guide to Using Biblical Hebrew to be an excellent work designed specifically to take you from working with the text and identifying the the message of the author and relaying it in a form that is beneficial to your audiance. The beginning sections are very language-centric, so if you don't know Hebrew it may be a struggle. The rest of the book is fabulous as well, so I would recommend it even if you were not working directly with the Hebrew text (although its strength is demonstrating how to exegete the text from the original language and then preaching it). Exegetical Fallacies by D. A. Carson is a very approachable work that gives some good advice on hermeneutical "landmines" you will want to avoid when exegeting the text. His examples are pretty clear (even if you disagree on the broader issue). Not as robust as the other two, but helpful for the research portion of your work.