PDA

View Full Version : Search for Datives functioning like Accusatives

dbielby
06-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Is there a way to search for datives that function as accusatives?

Example...Ephesians 4:18 we have
18 evskotwme,noi th/| dianoi,a| o;ntej(
M. Zerwick calls this a dative or respect (Dianoia). My question is
can I use BW6.0 to hunt for other datives in the NT/LXX that may
fit the role of an accusative? If so, how can I do that?

Michael Hanel
06-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Essentially the answer to your question is no. The reason is because BibleWorks breaks down words into their dictionary or basic forms and provides analysis that will tell you whether the word is noun, adjective, verb etc. based on the morphology of the word. Because of that, you can search easily for all imperatives of the 2nd person singular or all genitive plural adjectives, etc. These are all morphological distinctions. However what you're asking is differentiation between categories that are not morphological distinctions, but functional ones.

So for instance BibleWorks CANNOT spit out all of the uses of the HISTORICAL PRESENT in the Gospel of John, but BW CAN tell you all verbs in the present indicative in John. Bible Works cannot find all genitive absolutes in Romans, but through a nuanced search you could easily narrow down verses that have genitive participles and substantives.

Does that make sense? You're wanting to know distinctions purely on a functional level. To my knowledge, no such database on which BW or any other program could draw exists that would do what you want. Instead you would have to do things like search on dative nouns or the like in order to get what you want. Ultimately, it's pretty tough to have a database that will tell you whether a dative is dative of means or dative of advantage, etc. because those functional categories tend to be rather fluid and quite debateable. It's nowhere near as clear as basic morphological differences (which still can be ambiguous as in the case of 2 plural use of a verb in pres. indicative act. vs. present imperative active for one).

dbielby
06-20-2005, 05:18 PM
I was just wondering if there was a way to skin this particular cat even though we don't have tagging to reflect function.

Thanks for the reply and input. I appreciate it!

dbielby
06-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Let me ask a slightly different question involving the same part of Ephesians 4:18.

How can I do a search for periphrastic perfects that also have a dative noun in the mix? Is that possible w/BW 6.0?

Glenn Weaver
06-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Dear David,

Your request to search on periphrastic participles requires knowing the function of each participle, and that is an interpretive decision. However, you can search (perhaps easiest using the ASE) for a perfect participle, a dative noun, and either EIMI, UPARXW, or GINOMAI. (Using an Inclusion/Exclusion list in the ASE Word Box for the last three items works well.)

You will still have to manually determine if the search result returns a proper hit, but it does limit the results. After experimenting you may want to set word order and limit the number of intervening words between the elements. All those things are easy with the ASE.

I'm not sure if a periphrastic participle ever has an elided EIMI, but if it does, then you may want to search without listing EIMI, GINOMAI, etc. Of course, this will increase the number of hits returned.

Perhaps others have some helpful tips.

Glenn