PDA

View Full Version : Number of lemma occurrences per book

Y2K2
06-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Greetings,

I would like to do a search on the number of occurrences a Hebrew word root appears in each book of the OT. The results of the search would tell me the name of the book and the number of times the lemma appears. The verses in which the lemma appears is not needed, nor any additional grammatical information.

Example: for the verb אכל

Job 15 times אכל

I would like to perform one search action for the entire OT and not a separate search for each book.

Is this possible?

Thank you,
Roundtree.

Y2K2
06-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Greetings,

I have found the answer to my question. The Detailed Statistics Dialog not only gives me the information that I need, it also does it in graphical format.

BW6 is amazing software.

Roundtree.

Y2K2
06-20-2005, 03:16 AM
Greetings,

I am not sure if this posting is appropriate here. If it is not, please excuse me. I have a question to which I would appreciate an objective answer. Namely, in BW6 I did a lemma search on אמר . The result was 4510 verses, 106 forms, 5508 hits, in 0.59 seconds. The entire verses were shown in the verse list box.

I did the same search using Logos; the Lemma Report function in their Original Language Tools. More than 20 minutes later I still did not have a list of the entire verses. My CPU usage was 100% during this time (I stopped the search when I saw this). My computer uses an AMD 2.08 processor, 1GB RAM, WinXP.

A similar lemma search in BW6 and Logos Original Languages yielded the same results.

Thank you.
Roundtree.

Joe Fleener
06-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Greetings,

I am not sure if this posting is appropriate here. If it is not, please excuse me. I have a question to which I would appreciate an objective answer. Namely, in BW6 I did a lemma search on אמר . The result was 4510 verses, 106 forms, 5508 hits, in 0.59 seconds. The entire verses were shown in the verse list box.

I did the same search using Logos; the Lemma Report function in their Original Language Tools. More than 20 minutes later I still did not have a list of the entire verses. My CPU usage was 100% during this time (I stopped the search when I saw this). My computer uses an AMD 2.08 processor, 1GB RAM, WinXP.

A similar lemma search in BW6 and Logos Original Languages yielded the same results.

Thank you.
Roundtree.

Roundtree,

What is your question?

If you are wondering which program takes less system resources to perform virtually identical searches, you discovered your objective answer yourself.:D There really is no competing with BW!:)

You can see a more detailed, objective review of such performance data in the following review: http://www.bibleworks.com/reviews/reviews_parunak.htm.

Y2K2
06-20-2005, 08:24 AM
You are right, Joe. My question was not clearly stated. I wanted to know why there was such a great difference in the performance of the two softwares. After reading your reply it is clear that I had the answer already.

My appreciation for posting the link to that review. I look forward to taking my time and reading through it.

I do add, Joe, that Logos does have its positive points. In some aspects it compliments BW6, in my opinion. However, I am seeing for myself that BW6 really is a far better software for studying the original languages. And, with the BW6 staff working to make it even better, BW is a must investment for any serious student of the Scriptures.

Thank you,
Roundtree.

Joe Fleener
06-20-2005, 08:33 AM
I agree, both programs have their strengths. I have both and use both.

Logos = secondary literature. As a result of this and program design, speed is not its strength.

BW = primary texts related to the study of the text of scripture with a focus on the original languages.