PDA

View Full Version : "negate list" string search

Panoply
06-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi, I have BibleWorks 4.0 (looks like its time to upgrade) and I would like to find all occurences of the phrase "of God" that are not preceded with a given set of words. For example, find occurences of "man of God" or "friend of God", but not find occurences of "spirit of God" or "son of God."

I thought perhaps I could do that like this:

'!spirit !son of God

But that only seems to partly acknowledge my request. Does anyone know how to accomplish my search from the command line? If not from the command line, could somebody give me *detailed* instructions on how to do this with the ASE (which I have never used before).

Thanks,

-Brent

Adelphos
06-15-2005, 11:22 PM
For example, find occurences of "man of God" or "friend of God", but not find occurences of "spirit of God" or "son of God."

You don't need the NOT operator for this search. From the CL (command line), simply type --

('man of god)/('friend of god)

and this will find all occurrences of both strings.

Panoply
06-15-2005, 11:37 PM
I appreciate the construction you offered, but it doesn't find what I'm looking for. That is, how am I supposed to find "Aardvark of God", if I had no idea that "Aardvark" was one of the words that ever precedes "of God"?

More precisely, I don't know what are all the words that precede the phrase "of God", and so I'd like to find them all. But I don't want to see hundreds of occurences of certain examples I already know about. Thus I need to negate "spirit of God", which is an occurence I know about, and instead see the ones I didn't expect (and "Aardvark of God" would be **most** unexpected).

-Brent

Adelphos
06-16-2005, 12:23 AM
...how am I supposed to find "Aardvark of God", if I had no idea that "Aardvark" was one of the words that ever precedes "of God"?...

If you type --

('* of god)\('!spirit of god)

this will find all occurrences of the string "* of god" while excluding all verses that contain the string "spirit of god"

You can simply add all negations to the above formula that you want. For example --

('* of god)\('!spirit of god)\('!man of god)

and so forth.

Panoply
06-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Hey! That did it! Thanks!!

Now I'm just a little annoyed that I didn't know about the backslash operator. Sure, I can't say that I've memorized all the operators, but I was confident that I had gleaned all the "cool" ones. I stand corrected. Now I can go searching for Aardvarks that God owns.

I'd freshen up my skills with the manual...if I knew where I put it. But thats a different problem. :)

-Brent

p.s. ya, the online help I don't recall being as thorough as the manual...