PDA

View Full Version : problem in matthew 1:17

alan1979
06-12-2005, 03:05 AM
I am sure this has been asked before but I will ask anyhow. In Matthew 1:17, there are three sections of 14 generations, from abraham to david, david to exile, exile to Jesus. However, the first set only lists 13 generations as well as the last set. How can this be answered?

thanks,
alan

wie
06-12-2005, 10:16 AM
I am sure this has been asked before but I will ask anyhow. In Matthew 1:17, there are three sections of 14 generations, from abraham to david, david to exile, exile to Jesus. However, the first set only lists 13 generations as well as the last set. How can this be answered?

This is certainly not a Bibleworks problem. Anyway ...
First, the first section HAS 14 generations: Abraham - David. So, no problem here.
Second, the main problem lies in verse 11. Here the second section ends with Jechoniah, the 14th. But this is not ok, because Matthew left out Jehoiakim (compare 1 Chronicles 3:15) and many scribes added this name.
It is Jehoiakim who is the father of Jechoniah. This would make the 2nd section 15 and the third 13 generations.
So we HAVE 42 generations up to Jesus, but 29 up to Babylon and only 13 from there to Jesus.
In the third section one could count Mary as extra generation, others count Jechoniah twice, but this is not very convincing.
Well, this at least is my understanding.